No announcement yet.

Little '59 Tele vs. Pearly Gates Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little '59 Tele vs. Pearly Gates Tele?

So... I would assume the same difference between the full-on hums applies to these? Less low-end from the PG, more sizzle, chunk, and output from the '59?

The EQ curves they plot on the site seem... interesting. Kinda the exact opposite as I would expect from a PAF-type. Also, different magnets for each, and VASTLY different DCR.

So what's the deal with these? Do they pull off the PAF tone?

I had the Hot Rails and didn't really gel with it. Too dark and blunt. I still think the Quarter Pound is a better metal pickup.

Would I like the 'Lil PAF's?

The little 59 has way more mids than the LPG.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      The little 59 has way more mids than the LPG.
      Really? Then they don't sound like their full-size counterparts?

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post

Really? Then they don't sound like their full-size counterparts?
        The Little 59 has more mids than the 59 does. The LPG sounds closer to the PG than the L59 to the 59.

Comment

I agree with Mincer's assessments. I have used both lil 59 and lil pg with their full sized neck counterpart. The lil 59 and full sized version are quite opposite. As the lil 59 is not at all scooped. The lil pg matches the pgn very well tonally, but I found there to be too much of a volume mismatch with the full sized overpowering the bridge. I understand this has to do with size and the a2 magnet. Both do very well under gain but I found the lil pg more versatile in that I preferred its cleans to the lil 59.

Comment

Since when is the lil PG (A5 mag by the way) available as regular production?
            Last time i checked out all SD options for tele (years ago), the lil PG was just a CustomShop offering with an A2 mag, if i remember correctly.

Comment

Everyone's description of the lil59 compared to the full-sized 59 is exactly my experience. They don't sound at all alike, the L59 having way more mids than the 59.
              I haven't tried the LPG so I can't comment on that.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If a guy was thinking of pairing one of these two with a RI Fender CuNiFe WRHB at the neck for a 72 custom project, which tele sized bridge humbucker would work better?

Comment

Originally posted by ChipOnly View Post
                  If a guy was thinking of pairing one of these two with a RI Fender CuNiFe WRHB at the neck for a 72 custom project, which tele sized bridge humbucker would work better?
                  I assume any? LOL.

I'm kinda disappointed that the Lil 59 doesn't resemble the actual 59. I love the 59B, and I think the JB Jr. actually does get JB-ish, just a little thinner.

Comment

Originally posted by ChipOnly View Post
                    Pick the EQ you like better, or what your guitar needs and go with that. Either is a good choice.

Comment

i agree, i think either could work just fine. the lil 59 is thicker sounding with more output vs the pg being a bit sweeter

Comment

Cool, thanks. Sweeter means a little more scooped?

Leaning toward the the lil 59; had one in a tele a few years back and quite liked it. I recall it being twangier than a HB sized bucker, I think it would be good for this combo.

Appreciate the input!

Comment

the pg is less mid forward yes, i wouldnt call it scooped. it also has what i would call a sweeter high end

Comment

Working...
                          X