banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Single-coils: Triangle base vs Oval base.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single-coils: Triangle base vs Oval base.

Does anyone know if there's a specific reason some singles are built with the triangle base, while others are done with the oval base?

To put it another way, could something like a Five-Two be wound on an oval base? Maybe as a Shop Floor Custom?

I think it is just tradition, nothing else. I do believe anything can be ordered with an oval base, too as part of the Shop Floor Custom program.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

As most of you know I'm a huge fan of Carvin Kiesel guitars and because the Superstrats are all front routed for singles without the triangle base have asked on this. Was told that all single coils by Duncan could be ordered with the oval base as floor customs. I assume that is still true.
      Last edited by Ascension; 06-01-2023, 06:05 AM.
      Guitars
      Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
      Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Sweet! I was just thinking, a bridge/middle Five-Two, with an oval base, could be mounted side-by-side,
        to make a virtual Five-Two Stag Mag.

Comment

A Five-Two set, with B/M wired in series, could be sweet in something like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Contemporary_Stratocaster_Special_HT_sm.png
Views:	155
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	6235478

Comment

ive always liked that pup layout since i saw robbie robertson with it. id want the option of series or parallel though, not hard wired series

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              ive always liked that pup layout since i saw robbie robertson with it. id want the option of series or parallel though, not hard wired series
              Yup. Me too. I'd probably do a simple 3-way: B/M series, B/M parallel, and M/N parallel. (Using a 3-way superswitch.)

Comment

i think id want it wired like a normal strat, but with the option for bridge/middle in series. my main vintage type strat has that setup (without the moved middle pup) and i love it. the antiquity II jaguar pups neck model in neck, bridge model in middle and bridge positions, sound fantastic and the series option is great for slide. i keep toying with the idea of getting one of those squires but i have so many toys already...

Comment

I have an 82 'The Strat' which has many series combos. It is actually a really useful sound- I am surprised it isn't more popular. I don't like it all the time, but add a fuzz and it is wonderful.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    i keep toying with the idea of getting one of those squires but i have so many toys already...
                    Me too. I might just make a custom pickguard. I just gotta pick which Strat to sacrifice.

Comment

In a similar vein, I've lopped off the v edge of pups on many occasions. Other than the pain of re-anchoring the leads, it's easy and doesn't affect the sound whatsoever.
                      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by zionstrat View Post
                        In a similar vein, I've lopped off the v edge of pups on many occasions. Other than the pain of re-anchoring the leads, it's easy and doesn't affect the sound whatsoever.
                        I thought about that, but at my age, (hands and eyes), I really don't want to mess with those tiny wires.

Comment

Working...
                        X