banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried the Joe Bonamassa Cradle Strat set yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried the Joe Bonamassa Cradle Strat set yet?

I’m very curious about the latest custom shop Bonamassa Strat set. I got the promo video in my email, and they sound great, but I do t have a Strat that needs pickups at the moment. If I pull the trigger on a set of these, I’ll have to buy or build one, but for $375 a set I’m kinda on the fence. He says they are a replica of the ones in his 63 Strat. Does that mean the middle pickup is not RW/RP? I kinda like Strat sets with all three in matching polarity. I was hoping someone had first hand experience with this set, and could give me a review. I have the custom shop Bonamassa Skinnerburst set in my Les Paul, and I lucked into getting that set from my friend. They are incredible. Thanks

for reference. ….

Comment

sounds like a great set of strat pups! id guess they are all south up but the custom shop can confirm that for you

Comment

Just to clarify, a pup set with a middle RW/RP does match polarity. It just doesn't hum-cancel in the #2 and #4 positions.

RW reverses polarity. RP puts it back again.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Just to clarify, a pup set with a middle RW/RP does match polarity. It just doesn't hum-cancel in the #2 and #4 positions.

That sounds backwards to me. I thought RW/RP was done in the first place to have hum-cancelling in 2 and 4?

Comment

originally strats had three identical pups. all similar wind and all north up. they also had a three way switch so the notch positions werent really something fender was worried about.

a reverse wind OR reverse polarity middle pup will be out of phase with the neck and bridge pups.

a rw/rp middle pup will be in phase and cancel hum.

i think most of us know this, especially those in this thread but didnt want things to devolve.

i used to run a trio of antiquity II jaguar bridge pups in my main vintage type strat (i like the flat poles) which were all the same polarity. i found the neck pup was a bit dark so ended up putting the neck model antiquity II jag pup in that position, and put a baseplate on the bridge pup, and it works better for me. also makes the n/m position humcancelling, though it was never an issue really. i will say the notch tones are different after the swap, not better or worse really, but different

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

That sounds backwards to me. I thought RW/RP was done in the first place to have hum-cancelling in 2 and 4?
              It does. I meant that a non-RW/RP middle pup won't be hum-cancelling in #2 and #4. As Jeremy pointed out, the original Strat's 3-way didn't do the notch positions. So RW/RP on the middle pup wasn't necessary. Once artist's discovered that middle quack sound, they came up with the RW/RP so that you'd have some hum-cancelling.

Sorry if I confused the issue. You probably already knew that part. But some new Strat sets are doing the non-RWRP middle to replicate the "original" pups. It shouldn't, (from a technical point), change the sound. Only the hum-cancelling.

Edit: I see what I did wrong in the post you quoted. I was typing fast and left off the "non-RW/RP" part of my 2nd sentence. Sorry for the confusion.
              Last edited by ArtieToo; 06-01-2023, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

RP means reverse polarity of the magnets, RW means revers direction of the winding. Electrically in phase so main signal does not cancel out, it is the hum that is gets cancelled out only, This is exactly the same principle in humbuckers, one coils is RW/RP with respect to the other.
                Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post

RP means reverse polarity of the magnets, RW means revers direction of the winding. Electrically in phase so main signal does not cancel out, it is the hum that is gets cancelled out only, This is exactly the same principle in humbuckers, one coils is RW/RP with respect to the other.
                  Yes and no. A humbucker has one coil RP. But the other coil is not RW. Both coils are wound the same direction. It gets its "other" polarity reversal by connecting the coil in reverse. In other words, there's three ways to reverse polarity: (do any two, to maintain polarity), flip the mag, wind the coil in the opposite direction, or simply connect the wires backwards. A single coil does mag flip + reverse coil wind. A humbucker does mag flip + connect one coil in reverse.

Comment

Working...
                  X