banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Jeff Loomis Bridge Blackout unusually big? It will not fit in a pickup-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the Jeff Loomis Bridge Blackout unusually big? It will not fit in a pickup-ring

The loomis bridge blackout WILL NOT fit. I even had an aftermaket ring, and it doesn't fit. Is this a known thing, or did I get a mutant pickup that's machined incorrectly - the neck p'up fits just fine btw.

And these are pickup rings that fit standard blackouts and EMGs just fine - they're not snug at all.

ive not heard of that being an issue before, seems odd

Comment

I'm being told by the shop I bought them from that shaving down the interior of pickup rings is a normal occurrence to them, and I'm calling b.s. - I've done A LOT of pickup swaps and I've NEVER had to shave down the inside of a pickup ring on a standard six string in 20yrs of swapping pickups.

Comment

Sounds sketchy to me.
        aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Okay, so eating some crow here; turns out the Loomis blackout is the longest trembucker in the lineup - a full 0.089" longer than a standard trembucker, and doesn't fit any pickup ring I got. Duncan should really include a custom pickup ring for this guy, as it didn't fit any of the guitars I had without filing down the inside of a pickup ring.

If duncan does actually include a p'up ring with it, and I just lucked out and had mine missing in my package, my appologies to Duncan.

Comment

hmm... i wasnt aware the loomis trembucker is bigger than other trembuckers. normal trembuckers usually do come with a ring since they dont always fit a normal ring, not sure about the loomis specifically

Comment

You should PM JOLLY IIRC he has a few guitars with Blackouts and might be able to help

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                You should PM JOLLY IIRC he has a few guitars with Blackouts and might be able to help
                I've never run into that problem, but I've never had a Jeff Loomis Blackout.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

I've never run into that problem, but I've never had a Jeff Loomis Blackout.
                  I've discovered it's big enough to require its own custom pickup ring, or you'll have to file down the inside of your standard somewhere between a 32nd and a 16th of an inch (or maybe more - I had to file it down pretty good) before it'll fit.

Comment

I had this same problem with a CS El Diablo. Too big for a standard ring, so they supplied one . . . which was still too small. I had to Dremel it out on each end for it to fit.

Comment

The only issue I've ever had like that is pickup routes that are unusually small. Why on earth would they make a pickup unusually big like that? Especially when it's an active pickup with an onboard preamp not requiring tons and tons of wire.
                      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

No, yeah. It is. It's trembucker bobbins under the cover. And those are larger than regular humbuckers. Duncan trembuckers in particular are pretty huge.

Comment

Did you ever measure this particular humbucker to see how far it varied from the technical drawing? I wonder if it is actually bigger or you just have smaller rings laying around. In any case I am happy you got it up and running!
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's not just the Loomis pickup...a covered trembucker isn't going to fit a majority of trim rings as the bobbins are already too wide for some stock trim rings and the cover just makes it that much wider.

It's perfectly fine to modify a trim ring to make it fit. The shop wasn't incorrect, it's a fairly common procedure.

You can also request a proper "Trembucker" ring from Duncan and it will probably fit, but since there is no standard dimension to trim rings found on different guitars, the mounting holes for the Duncan ring may not match up perfectly with the stock holes on your guitar.

Comment

All 3 sets of Blackouts I've used were right, but I didn't have to modify anything.
                              https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Working...
                              X