banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Jeff Loomis Bridge Blackout unusually big? It will not fit in a pickup-ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rex_Rocker
    replied
    Originally posted by RanchManSandy View Post
    I also had to dremel out a ring to get my Loomis blackout to fit! what a unnecessary pain. if you make a pickup that is too long for any conventional ring on the market, include one
    They usually do. I'm surprised they don't include it with the Loomises.

Leave a comment:

• RanchManSandy
    replied
    I also had to dremel out a ring to get my Loomis blackout to fit! what a unnecessary pain. if you make a pickup that is too long for any conventional ring on the market, include one

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied
    Originally posted by RipperShred View Post

All regular blackouts and trembuckers fit just fine - zero issues, but this MO-FO is a beast in its own class!
    It is a covered trembucker. Have you tried any other covered trembucker? Or just uncovered? Because the covers Duncan use for the Trembuckers are waaaaay wider than everyone else's.

Leave a comment:

• RipperShred
    replied
    Originally posted by Mincer View Post
    Did you ever measure this particular humbucker to see how far it varied from the technical drawing? I wonder if it is actually bigger or you just have smaller rings laying around. In any case I am happy you got it up and running!
    All regular blackouts and trembuckers fit just fine - zero issues, but this MO-FO is a beast in its own class!

Leave a comment:

• 80's_Thrash_Metal
    replied
    All 3 sets of Blackouts I've used were right, but I didn't have to modify anything.

Leave a comment:

• Masta' C
    replied
    It's not just the Loomis pickup...a covered trembucker isn't going to fit a majority of trim rings as the bobbins are already too wide for some stock trim rings and the cover just makes it that much wider.

It's perfectly fine to modify a trim ring to make it fit. The shop wasn't incorrect, it's a fairly common procedure.

You can also request a proper "Trembucker" ring from Duncan and it will probably fit, but since there is no standard dimension to trim rings found on different guitars, the mounting holes for the Duncan ring may not match up perfectly with the stock holes on your guitar.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied
    Did you ever measure this particular humbucker to see how far it varied from the technical drawing? I wonder if it is actually bigger or you just have smaller rings laying around. In any case I am happy you got it up and running!

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied
    No, yeah. It is. It's trembucker bobbins under the cover. And those are larger than regular humbuckers. Duncan trembuckers in particular are pretty huge.

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied
    The only issue I've ever had like that is pickup routes that are unusually small. Why on earth would they make a pickup unusually big like that? Especially when it's an active pickup with an onboard preamp not requiring tons and tons of wire.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    I had this same problem with a CS El Diablo. Too big for a standard ring, so they supplied one . . . which was still too small. I had to Dremel it out on each end for it to fit.

Leave a comment:

• RipperShred
    replied
    Originally posted by JOLLY View Post

I've never run into that problem, but I've never had a Jeff Loomis Blackout.
    I've discovered it's big enough to require its own custom pickup ring, or you'll have to file down the inside of your standard somewhere between a 32nd and a 16th of an inch (or maybe more - I had to file it down pretty good) before it'll fit.

Leave a comment:

• JOLLY
    replied
    Originally posted by Securb View Post
    You should PM JOLLY IIRC he has a few guitars with Blackouts and might be able to help
    I've never run into that problem, but I've never had a Jeff Loomis Blackout.

Leave a comment:

• Securb
    replied
    You should PM JOLLY IIRC he has a few guitars with Blackouts and might be able to help

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied
    hmm... i wasnt aware the loomis trembucker is bigger than other trembuckers. normal trembuckers usually do come with a ring since they dont always fit a normal ring, not sure about the loomis specifically

Leave a comment:

• RipperShred
    replied
    Okay, so eating some crow here; turns out the Loomis blackout is the longest trembucker in the lineup - a full 0.089" longer than a standard trembucker, and doesn't fit any pickup ring I got. Duncan should really include a custom pickup ring for this guy, as it didn't fit any of the guitars I had without filing down the inside of a pickup ring.

If duncan does actually include a p'up ring with it, and I just lucked out and had mine missing in my package, my appologies to Duncan.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X