Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most dynamic articulate humbucker

Hi!
    I need humbucker who will be sensitive to my touch much dynamic and articulate as possible.
    I read that mainly PAFs are good, but not always. Supposedly several parameters affect dynamics and articulations, not only output range.

From my experience, a Jazz Model Bridge.

Comment

I'd go with something unpotted, and with a vintage wind, like an Antiquity.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like both the Seth Lover and Antiquity sets for touch sensitivity.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Generally lower output humbuckers offer the best dynamic sensitivity.
          Treble character and midrange voicing have a lot to do with how articulate a pickup is in actual use.

For most players, PAF types are an ideal combination of those aspects.
          There's a broad range of humbuckers in the PAF category. though.
          Lower output examples tend to be more dynamic here as well.

In a more modern style humbucker, the Jazz set is a good recommendation too.

When using low output pickups some players find that using a boost pedal helps in getting the best out of their amp.

It would be helpful to know what guitar these are going into, and what amp they'll be paired with.
          Also the type of tone you're seeking, and the primary style of music you play.
          The best choice for you will be highly dependent on these factors.

"You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I need it to my Kramer 84. I like evh tone

Comment

For the EvH tone, going for a super-articulated pickup like the Jazz or Fullshred is not the way to go. You'd want a pickup that's a bit more 'fluid' in its feel. I'd say, go for a Pearly Gates, Saturday Night, or Alnico 2 Pro, the Slash version would be even better in my opinion.

Still pickups with a A LOT of definition, pick attack, harmonics, and dynamics, but not as sharp, scalpel-like, as a the really precise pickups like the Jazz or Fullshred, as I mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG80s View Post
                I need it to my Kramer 84. I like evh tone
                Well, I might stay away from the very dynamic unpotted pickups, as they might feed back with volume and gain. I'd get a 78 and call it a day.

Comment

Dynamic is more about not hitting the front of your amp or distortion pedal(s) too hard. Any low output pickup will do. The other constraints however narrow it down quite a bit, but I'll leave that to others seeing as I'm not too much of a pickup nerd anymore.
                  You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                  Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

Well, I might stay away from the very dynamic unpotted pickups, as they might feed back with volume and gain. I'd get a 78 and call it a day.
                    Yea, i nead most dynamic PAF but wax potted

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG View Post

Yea, i nead most dynamic PAF but wax potted
                      You can order Antiquities wax potted from any SD dealer.

Comment

The question has been covered above when it comes to Duncan products.

Regarding other brands... you might be pleased for instance if you can find some Skatterbranes (2d hand since Rod Kinkade doesn't wind no more AFAIK).

Now, keep in mind that "collective ear" is accustomed to softer humbuckers. The hard fast attack of Skatterbranes makes them recognizeable but is not appreciated by everybody.
                        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I heard dimarzio 59 and sound great too.
                          78 is expensive, but I will consider it.
                          What do you think about aph-1 or pearly Gates?
                          0:24 https://youtu.be/gdO7lyzUTxo
                          I like how Eddie plays with dynamic. When hit light has muddy quieter tone, when hit stron has bright loud tone on Distortion! I belive its A2.
                          I has custom obervound PAF 12k with A5, when I switched to A2, it give me better dynamic and this result, light touch muddy, strong touch bright, but its sound too dark for me.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG80s View Post
                            I heard dimarzio 59 and sound great too.
                            78 is expensive, but I will consider it.
                            What do you think about aph-1 or pearly Gates?
                            0:24 https://youtu.be/gdO7lyzUTxo
                            I like how Eddie plays with dynamic. When hit light has muddy quieter tone, when hit stron has bright loud tone on Distortion! I belive its A2.
                            I has custom obervound PAF 12k with A5, when I switched to A2, it give me better dynamic and this result, light touch muddy, strong touch bright, but its sound too dark for me.
                            Dimarzio 59? Doesn't exist. Dimarzio PAF, yes, Seymour Duncan '59. Yes.

Having that overwound PAF, with an alnico2, yes that does sound like a pickup made to sound fatty/muddy.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post

Dimarzio 59? Doesn't exist. Dimarzio PAF, yes, Seymour Duncan '59. Yes.

Having that overwound PAF, with an alnico2, yes that does sound like a pickup made to sound fatty/muddy.

Nor directly called as "'59" but still 59
                              Official Author of Guitarism Section of SOUND Magazine, TR

Click Here to Guitarism Blog for Special Interviews, Reviews and Articles

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." — Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                              X