JB vs 59/Custom Hybrid vs Perpetual Burn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JB vs 59/Custom Hybrid vs Perpetual Burn

Hi. I am kind of moving away from high gain, and I am wondering how the 59/Custom Hybrid and the Perpetual Burn comparento the JB, tonewise. I am looking for a medium output HB for my Korina PRS singlecut (Jazz in the neck) that still has power, oomph and clarity, but a bit more dymanic, and capable of producing eat clean tones too. Thanks

Both are less compressed than a JB, and I know the Hybrid is more scooped than a JB. Both are more dynamic (touch sensitive) pickups.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Both are less compressed than a JB, and I know the Hybrid is more scooped than a JB. Both are more dynamic (touch sensitive) pickups.
      Thanks. Ans in terms of bass and treble?

Comment

Originally posted by Rabelais View Post

Thanks. Ans in terms of bass and treble?
        I've never compared them directly to the PB, but as far as the JB goes...the JB has more upper mids, and is a pretty bright pickup. The Hybrid is scooped, with an EQ like a PAF. There is tight bass, not a lot of mids, and a clear high end.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I've never compared them directly to the PB, but as far as the JB goes...the JB has more upper mids, and is a pretty bright pickup. The Hybrid is scooped, with an EQ like a PAF. There is tight bass, not a lot of mids, and a clear high end.
          Thanks

Comment

I always recommend double thick magnets if you want to use lighter winds but still have punch.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Since you have Jazz in the neck, you might consider trying either a 59 or a Screaming Demon in the bridge. The Jazz, to me, has more mids. Both the 59 and the SD have a v curve and will both contrast and work well with the Jazz neck.

That is not dead which can eternal lie,
              And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Originally posted by Condemned soul View Post
                Since you have Jazz in the neck, you might consider trying either a 59 or a Screaming Demon in the bridge. The Jazz, to me, has more mids. Both the 59 and the SD have a v curve and will both contrast and work well with the Jazz neck.
                The SD seems interesting. I saw a video of a YouTuber comparing it to the Invader in a high gain setting. The SD sounded much clearer, without all that crazy saturation the Invader brought in.

Comment

The demon excels at high gain and your amp needs to be up to it, because the PU is not hot at all.
                  I love that pickup, but for low/mid gain lead work it kind of sucks. It’s not fluid or fat at all. Stiff and bright attack.
                  it only starts to scream if you throw gain at it.
                  so if you want to move away from high gain this might not be the best choice, although high gain with the demon is quite different than with a high output PU.

Comment

Have you tried a Full Shred yet? Might fill your bill nicely...
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                      Have you tried a Full Shred yet? Might fill your bill nicely...
                      I migjt. I am a bit afraid it may not have enough body.

Comment

its got more body and output than the demon

Comment

I've always felt the Perpetual Burn is sorta like a JB that's been optimized to my own preferences.
                          Better clarity, less honk, and it cleans up nicely. Lows are tighter but it doesn't lack for fullness.

Far more fluid & forgiving than a Demon, and its medium output drives an amp nicely.
                          A bit less scooped than the Custom 5, with improved string-to-string definition too.

IMO the PB doesn't get enough love around here.
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            its got more body and output than the demon
                            It certainly sounds bigger in sigle cut, mahogany guitars

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                              I've always felt the Perpetual Burn is sorta like a JB that's been optimized to my own preferences.
                              Better clarity, less honk, and it cleans up nicely. Lows are tighter but it doesn't lack for fullness.

Far more fluid & forgiving than a Demon, and its medium output drives an amp nicely.
                              A bit less scooped than the Custom 5, with improved string-to-string definition too.

IMO the PB doesn't get enough love around here.
                              The eq in SD's webpage suggests it's a well balanced pup

Comment

Working...
                              X