banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are lower output pickups really more dynamic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are lower output pickups really more dynamic?

I have always wondered about this. I remember recording DI's with my Black Winter, the peaks and valleys look very standard for any pickup I've ever attempted to record DI's from.

Actives are a different thing. Especially EMG's. Those have got that brickwall limiting effect caused by the preamp's power supply. As soon as you raise them to 18V, you can clearly see the waveforms become more dynamic with more of a difference between the highest peaks and the rest of the playing.

But with passives? I have never done this experiment myself, personally. But I have always felt that the dynamics I gain from using PAF-types are negated (though I don't know to what extent) by the fact that I have to raise the gain for them not sound undergained.

And this is what I mean... once you match the gain levels for both... is it really the case?

Anyone have some info regarding this so that I can understand what makes a low output pickup more dynamic? Maybe some graphs? Waveforms? Some video with similar information?

I understand how inductance affects the frequency response... but the dynamics? Please explain.
    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-05-2023, 01:29 PM.

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    But with passives? I have never done this experiment myself, personally. But I have always felt that the dynamics I gain from using PAF-types are negated (though I don't know to what extent) by the fact that I have to raise the gain for them not sound undergained.
    Well . . . yeah.

If you raise gain levels as you're doing you can reduce the dynamics of any pickup. If you keep the gain levels the same, then you'll notice that lower gain pickups typically have more dynamics.

As you've discovered, dynamics aren't always desired - for a great many of guitar sounds you want to limit dynamics from a pickup.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Well . . . yeah.

If you raise gain levels as you're doing you can reduce the dynamics of any pickup. If you keep the gain levels the same, then you'll notice that lower gain pickups typically have more dynamics.

As you've discovered, dynamics aren't always desired - for a great many of guitar sounds you want to limit dynamics from a pickup.
      That's not what I meant. I agree, that's pretty obvious.

I meant once the gain is matched. Let's say you're not driving a distorted amp. You're recording DI's. You're getting them both so that they peak at a healthy level to avoid as much floor noise as possible without clipping the input. Would low output pickups once the gain is matched be still "more dynamic"? Meaning there would be more difference between the loudest playing and the quietest playing.

Because if not, they are not more dynamic. They are just quieter. At least technically speaking.

But maybe there is something technical I am not understanding.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-05-2023, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Because if not, they are not more dynamic. They are just quieter. At least technically speaking.

But maybe there is something technical I am not understanding.
        Guitar lingo refers to pickup dynamics as how the tone, mainly the top end, will sound differently in response to pick attack. Kind of a lively sparky effect. They're not saying an 8k hum will sound pp if you pick soft and ff if you pick hard while a 20k pickup sounds mf no matter how hard you pick.

If you fully saturate both types of pickups, they'll respond similarly. If you compare them clean or lightly saturated, the difference in 'dynamics' is more apparent.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Yes.
          Higher output pickups send a hot signal into the amp, allowing the preamp to squish the signal taking the dynamics away. Thing is, for many types of music, that is perfect. Modern rock and metal isn't very dynamic music, and you want consistency more than anything. Older forms of music, like blues & jazz, has tons more dynamics, so that is where vintage output shines.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Lower output pickups will have a comparatively higher treble content, which will be what cuts through. They also will have a more immediate attack on the note.
            Of course the fact that high output pickups will have a stronger signal means that actual amount of signal can vary more in terms of absolute voltage. But the % change will be greater for the low output one.

Comment

So... not sure... what would happen if we plug them both into a clean amp that has the headroom to handle both and match the gains and volume levels, then the difference would not be in responsiveness volume-wise to loud and quiet playing, but rather, in EQ, and, indirectly, to attack voicing and whatnot? Or would the PAF's be actually louder when playing loud and quieter when playing quiet than the Black Winter?

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                But the % change will be greater for the low output one.
                That's exactly what I'm asking. What is it that gives them the greater dynamic range? In terms of physics-electric-electronics?

Because I understand how inductance lowers the resonant peak and that's exactly what makes the higher output pickups' frequency response narrower. But what happens electrically to limit dynamics?

Comment

So... not sure... what would happen if we plug them both into a clean amp that has the headroom to handle both and match the gains and volume levels, then the difference would not be in responsiveness volume-wise to loud and quiet playing, but rather, in EQ, and, indirectly, to attack voicing and whatnot?
                  Yes

Or would the PAF's be actually louder when playing loud and quieter when playing quiet than the Black Winter?
                  No. Take a Black winter clean and barely touch the pick across the strings. Pianissimo. Now smash a chord. Fortissimo. Higher output in the pickup doesn't literally compress the volume response - the distortion box does that, but not a higher output pickup.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post

Yes

No. Take a Black winter clean and barely touch the pick across the strings. Pianissimo. Now smash a chord. Fortissimo. Higher output in the pickup doesn't literally compress the volume response - the distortion box does that, but not a higher output pickup.
                    That's what I suspected.

Comment

I meant once the gain is matched.
                      The majority of guitar amps are designed to not stay clean (or are used with distortion pedals of some sort) . . . so there's usually a pretty limited headrooom that you're working with. In that case, low output pickups are always wider dynamic range and higher output pickups are much more compressed.

If you have managed to find a guitar amp that doesn't do this and can gain match then the pickups you're using matter very little for range. I'm not sure what amp that would be though. Even really clean amps like a JC120 or a twin will break up (and lose dynamic range) when slamming the front with a superdistortion.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

It is the preamp that compresses the signal, not the pickup. There is limited dynamic range going into an amp, so when a hot signal hits the input, it squeezes down, especially if you have a lot of preamp gain. Boost pedals can do the same thing as a high output pickup.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I understand how inductance affects the frequency response... but the dynamics? Please explain.
                          High inductance transducers have more "inertia", so to speak. Slower attack and decay, longer sustain before release. Hence slow transients felt as "compressed".

Now, low parasitic capacitance contributes to a better dynamics.

Low eddy currents too. Not to mention magnetic strenght.

Asymetric coils in a humbucker can help as well.

IOW that's not a simple question, IMHO (precisely because it doesn't involve one single factor IME. YMMV).

Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

FWIW, I share below the impulse response of a hi-gain / high inductance humbucker (around 11H) VS a low inductance Filter'Tron (1.6H if memory serves me; maybe it's 1.4H).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hi-GainVsLowIndImpResp.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	6236171

Should make obvious that a Filter'Tron has not only a faster attack but also a stronger one, relatively speaking.

NOTES:

*Each color illustrates the response of a coil, when electrically stimulated (red = one bobbin of the pickup, green = the other one).

*Vertical axis = dB.
                            Horizontal axis = time in milliseconds.

*Pictures trimmed for questions of intellectual property. Thx for your understanding.
                            Last edited by freefrog; 06-06-2023, 01:19 AM.
                            Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

What type of units are each axis? And what are each line? What good does a vague graphic do?
                              Last edited by Clint 55; 06-06-2023, 12:04 AM.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X