When will there be "pickup" modeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will there be "pickup" modeling?

So, we can take the IR from a speaker, and model that, and then add it to a signal to simulate a particular speaker or cab.

So why not a pickup? If I can get an "IR" from a given pickup/magnert, and compare it to a different one...why can't I model pickups?

1. Create a "Generic" base pickup
    2. Install it in a guitar
    3. Generate all the dynamic data
    4. Put say, a JB in the same guitar
    5. Generate all the data again...
    6. Create algorithm to modify the "Generic" pickup to the JB characteristics

Then lather/rinse/repeat with as many pickups as you want.

When you are done, you put the Generic pickup in the guitar, along with a little PC board and chip, or whatever in the control cavity, and select whatever pickup you are feeling like using, that was modeled.

Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Isn't that what Billy Gibbons basically does with a graphic EQ? Sampled Pearly Gates, and then set up all other guitars with the same EQ...
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Doesn't the Blue Cat Audio Re-Guitar plugin kinda do this?
      Didn't Roland's VG processors kinda do this?
      Didn't/don't Variax guitars kinda do this?
      Last edited by RanchManSandy; 06-06-2023, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't want a sampled pickup. An IR is a flat sample and won't give you all the dynamic nuances of laying into the strings and then playing delicately right after that. I don't think I would want to use an IR to drive all the other equipment in the chain. It's not the right signal for that.

Comment

you might want to check with Fishman. Have heard that they have a patent on multi-voiced pickups or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post
            you might want to check with Fishman. Have heard that they have a patent on multi-voiced pickups or something like that.
            Fishman aren't sampled or modeled. They are actual pickup coils. They do something like connect different coil turn counts with external switching. It's PC board coils/traces, not traditional wire coils.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

Fishman aren't sampled or modeled. They are actual pickup coils. They do something like connect different coil turn counts with external switching. It's PC board coils/traces, not traditional wire coils.
              Not certain this is it but it sounds similar to what I was told:
              A pickup device for an electric instrument may include at least one permanent magnet to detect vibrations from the electric instrument's strings. The pickup device may further include at least one coil within a magnetic field of the permanent magnet. The coil may be coupled to one or more of a plurality of selectable filters. The pickup device may be an integrated assembly and fittable within a standard-sized pickup cavity on the electric instrument.

Comment

Ace, here is something apparently related to your idea:

For this video, I created several impulse responses to simulate the tonal characteristics of different pickups. These IR's offer the ability to switch betwee...

About Roland/Variax modeling : they were not yet based on impulse responses.

Roland/Boss was mostly using comb filtering as explained here: https://www.till.com/articles/PickupResponse/

Variax modeling was more complex : it involved pickup(s) modeling + pots & caps modeling + resonance modeling for the whole guitar (body, neck, hardware).

Impulse response modeling in the strict meaning of this expression is already present in cheap multi-FX's but for acoustic guitar emulations rather than electric instruments. For instance, the super cheap Valeton GP100 and more expensive but still cheap NUX MG30 allow to emulate acoustic guitars with electric guitars filtered by IR's. And it works rather well.

That said, there's also "tone capture" IR based modeling units for guitars. Examples:

A User Friendly Quick Start Guide, explaining the correct use of XT-1 Guitar Profiler and its main features, such as the Configuration Software 2.4 for PC/M...

-►Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/intheblues►My Socials - https://linktr.ee/intheblues►My Sweetwater Gear Page - https://imp.i114863.net/intheblues►intheblu...

I've no experience with the Blue-Cat thing. RanchManSandy, thx for sharing. :-)

To be continued and subject to change without notice. I've just wrote what was coming to my mind on an "impulse", without filtering it. ;-)
                Last edited by freefrog; 06-06-2023, 10:18 PM.
                Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Originally posted by justFred View Post

Not certain this is it but it sounds similar to what I was told:
                  A pickup device for an electric instrument may include at least one permanent magnet to detect vibrations from the electric instrument's strings. The pickup device may further include at least one coil within a magnetic field of the permanent magnet. The coil may be coupled to one or more of a plurality of selectable filters. The pickup device may be an integrated assembly and fittable within a standard-sized pickup cavity on the electric instrument.
                  Right, as stated in the patent, it's a printed coil (e.g. layers of PC boards) with magnets and poles to sense the string vibration, like a regular passive pickup. The part I didn't recall is they are applying passive filters; caps and resistors, to shape the response. There's mention of the possibility of digitial filters, but I don't recall if they actually do that in the product currently. (Sometimes patents mention other 'embodiments' to protect future development ideas, but they aren't actually feasible at present.)

Either way, it's not an emulation, sample or IR. It's an actual coil with magnets, like other passive pickups.

It would be better to DM Frank Falbo to explain it properly. I'm just stating the bits I recall about it.

Comment

Bias FX 2 has a guitar match feature, which is kind of like a profiler for guitars/pickups.
                    I thought it was genius when I first heard about it some years ago.
                    Only a matter of time before technology catches up...

With the recent updates of BIAS FX 2, we've had a lot of people asking about a certain feature: Guitar Match. We know the life of a gear-nut is tough, trying to score every sweet guitar, amp, pedal. It adds up, though. You might want that 60's Strat, but gosh they're pricey. Or maybe you're a huge Slash fan, and you NE

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post

I thought it was a bit more in-depth than that, because they can control both EQ response and output independently as well as phase alignment and whatnot.
                      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-07-2023, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Roland's VG series of processors did this. Line 6's Variax electrics do this as well. The technology will get cheaper, and work better.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          So, we can take the IR from a speaker, and model that, and then add it to a signal to simulate a particular speaker or cab.

So why not a pickup? If I can get an "IR" from a given pickup/magnert, and compare it to a different one...why can't I model pickups?

1. Create a "Generic" base pickup
                          2. Install it in a guitar
                          3. Generate all the dynamic data
                          4. Put say, a JB in the same guitar
                          5. Generate all the data again...
                          6. Create algorithm to modify the "Generic" pickup to the JB characteristics

Then lather/rinse/repeat with as many pickups as you want.

When you are done, you put the Generic pickup in the guitar, along with a little PC board and chip, or whatever in the control cavity, and select whatever pickup you are feeling like using, that was modeled.
                          Mooer has already done this on GTRS Guitars

Official Author of Guitarism Section of SOUND Magazine, TR

Click Here to Guitarism Blog for Special Interviews, Reviews and Articles

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." — Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                          X