Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seashore
    replied
    I wanna say that I'm really, really not after trade secrets or trying to open a can of worms with this. I've also read that they vary their recipe to achieve the same results with slightly different materials, as suppliers change, so I wonder if some of those differences could be down to just having pickups from a different batch even if they do make them side by side. In which case, heck, maybe it would be worth trying after all.

I appreciate all the links you've shared, cheers.

Leave a comment:

• Seashore
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabrielinconfident View Post

You do realise the JB and Duncan Distortion are the same exact pickup with different magnets, right?
    ​​​​​​
    No, I don't. That's why I asked. I've come across a bunch of posts saying what you're saying, and a bunch of other posts saying the winds are just a bit different. The listed resistance specs on the website are a little different. If they're a little different in the real world then it would be cool for me to hear the mismatch, and if they aren't then I would have an answer of a different sort. I'm curious enough about it to want to hear and feel it through my own rig. But practically speaking, this time around, I was also looking for a bridge pickup in my Gibson that makes me just a little bit happier, which I ended up with by going a different route. I do think Artie is a credible source and I imagine based on what he says that the JB/Distortion project might be a waste of time, but I'll never really know until I try.

Leave a comment:

• beaubrummels
    replied
    Originally posted by Gabrielinconfident View Post

You do realise the JB and Duncan Distortion are the same exact pickup with different magnets, right?
    I believe that to be false myself.

First, a statement from a former employee

Then someone who actually disassembled and measured the differences between the two

Someone else who measured the differences

Leave a comment:

• Gabrielinconfident
    replied
    Originally posted by Seashore View Post
    I've got a JB in one of my Gibsons and a Distortion that's been in a few guitars. 7-string models. Both good, both very close to being ideal, but I wish they had a little more of an open dynamic feel and more harmonic complexity. Most of my favorite pickups have some offset between the coils, and I have an uneducated hunch that that's part of what makes them feel more open and responsive to me. Would it be worth taking these apart to create two JB/Distortion hybrids, keeping in mind that the differences I'm looking for are pretty subtle? Has anybody done this? Or is this just a fool's errand, not giving me the results I'd want, not worth ruining two good pickups over?

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

In that case, it's excellent info to have and I'll plan any further tinkering around things that'll actually make a difference. Thank you!
    It's false info. The Distortion and JB are different coils. The easiest way to hear it is to spend time with an A5 Distortion. Super easy to hear.

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
    Gonna throw a curve ball now, then. How about a JB (or Distortion)/Black Winter Hybrid? Same DCR, just different insulation to the wire.
    And different winds.. I'm sure a JB / Black Winter hybrid would sound cool. The 2 sound extremely different but might compliment each other.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-15-2023, 04:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied
    Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Isn't that Dimarzio's 'dual resonance' thing? Two coils with different wire gauges but the same DCR?
    But the Black Winter and Distortion/JB have the same wire gauge, just different insulations.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    Gonna throw a curve ball now, then. How about a JB (or Distortion)/Black Winter Hybrid? Same DCR, just different insulation to the wire.
    Isn't that Dimarzio's 'dual resonance' thing? Two coils with different wire gauges but the same DCR?

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Seashore
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo
    I should shut my damn mouth. I won't ever say this again. In an mIRC chat, many moons ago, a Duncan employee said, . . . the coils come off the machine. Some go to JB's, and some go to Distortions. She got spanked for saying that. She's no longer with the company.

I'll never say this again.
    In that case, it's excellent info to have and I'll plan any further tinkering around things that'll actually make a difference. Thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Seashore
    replied
    Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
    JB and Distortion are the same coils. It will simply become whichever mag you select. You can't do a JB/Distortion hybrid.
    Are they exactly the same wind? I don't know anything about it other than what I can find on here. Their resistance specs are different on the website - close but not the same (JB at 16.4k, Distortion at 16.6k for the six string models) and I've read other posts here on the forum that say the winds are not identical. Would those resistance differences be within tolerance for two instances of the same wind?

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied
    JB and Distortion are the same coils. It will simply become whichever mag you select. You can't do a JB/Distortion hybrid.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

Very cool. I think this Brute Force neck model would be in the same neighborhood. What coils and magnet did you use for that? Or did you put both hybrids together?
    I hybrid'd a Distortion neck and a JB and used it as a bridge pickup. I decided to go for a lower heat coil because there's plenty of heat with the double thick magnets I use. I think I went with double thick UOA5.

I'm sure a regular Distortion bridge and a JB would work well though.

I enjoy making hybrids and I like both pickups and their intricacies so it was a no brainer to try a hybrid.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-14-2023, 08:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    I've always thought that a JB/Custom hybrid would be interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Rex_Rocker
    replied

Wanting the mismatch to be a bit more apparent was part of why I took apart this 13.4k neck pickup for the other coil, but while I understand your point about aesthetics I don't think that has bearing on the sound. Maybe the sound of the two coils would be too close to notice a meaningful difference, maybe there would be something weird and bad-sounding, or maybe it would turn out like I hoped, which was something very close to a JB or a Distortion but with a slightly more complex and open high end. I'd really have to try it in one of my guitars through my amp and hear it for myself.

I don't have anything like the electronics knowledge of some of the folks here so I don't know how to explain what I like in less subjective terms, but reading through stuff about pickup mods and hybrids was what initially drew me to the forum. I like tinkering. I also like replacing bridges for that last 2% of tone... I know you get it. I'm super pleased with this particular result. If I had ordered something from the Custom Shop or a booteek winder and it sounded and responded this way, I'd be happy. But I also don't have $200+ to drop on a pickup now so I'm extra happy.
    You got me there.

I guess if you like actually makign the hybrids, it would be worth it.I honestly DREAD anything that has to do with using a soldering iron, even considering how much I like trying out different pickups.

If at some point you decide you want to try another JB soundalike but with slightly more airiness and clarity, give the Fishman Fluence Classics a try. Fantastic pickups, and that's coming from a person who loves the JB already.

Leave a comment:

• Seashore
    replied
    Personally, IF and that's kind of a big IF there is a coil mismatch, it's certainly not going to be worth the trouble *for me*. If you want the *slight* coil mismatch effect, I'd recommend looking into a JB/500T or JB/Tone Zone, or other sort of pickup where the coil mismatch not huge, but it is more evident rather than being a small difference that might actually come across as a defect.

That's my reasoning, personally. I'm an artist/designer, so that's the kind of ethos I usually follow when doing stuff like that. If I make a quadrilateral, for example, where one of the sides is just *slightly* off, it looks more like an error than an intentional design choice.
    Wanting the mismatch to be a bit more apparent was part of why I took apart this 13.4k neck pickup for the other coil, but while I understand your point about aesthetics I don't think that has bearing on the sound. Maybe the sound of the two coils would be too close to notice a meaningful difference, maybe there would be something weird and bad-sounding, or maybe it would turn out like I hoped, which was something very close to a JB or a Distortion but with a slightly more complex and open high end. I'd really have to try it in one of my guitars through my amp and hear it for myself.

I don't have anything like the electronics knowledge of some of the folks here so I don't know how to explain what I like in less subjective terms, but reading through stuff about pickup mods and hybrids was what initially drew me to the forum. I like tinkering. I also like replacing bridges for that last 2% of tone... I know you get it. I'm super pleased with this particular result. If I had ordered something from the Custom Shop or a booteek winder and it sounded and responded this way, I'd be happy. But I also don't have $200+ to drop on a pickup now so I'm extra happy.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X