Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    There's no option for short leg tho. :P
    You should be able to order short or long legs on any standard-spaced humbucker (Trembuckers are always short legs) as a Shop Floor Custom option from a Duncan dealer.

Do you need something just a little bit special from your pickup but not anything that requires the full Seymour Duncan Custom Shop treatment? If so, there are plenty of little customisations that you can request when you order a regular pickup through your preferred dealer. Called Shop Floor Custom, this service lets you tweak various aspects of your pickup order and we'll make it on the regular shop floor, just for you, alongside our regular production pickups. It's a handy alternative if you want something a little unique but your budget doesn't stretch to 'Custom Shop.'

Here’s a list of what’s available.

1. Logo/no logo. Includes mini humbuckers
    2. Bobbin color. For standard-spaced humbuckers only. You can choose from any combination (except Double Crème) or single color from the following: Black, White, Crème, Red, Dark Blue, Light Blue, Pink, Yellow, Green.
    3. Covers. Where applicable, a cover may be added to pickups or the color of the cover can be changed. Options are Nickel, Chrome, Gold, Black Nickel, Black Chrome, and Powder coated Black. For calibrated sets of Stratocaster pickups, cover colors can be changed.
    4. Lead wire. You can elect to change a 4-conductor cable to single conductor cable and vise versa on full size and mini humbuckers only.
    5. Bottom plate. On standard spaced humbuckers you can choose long or short legs. Or you can choose a black bottom plate.
    6. Wind/polarity. You can choose reverse-wound/reverse-polarity (Rw/Rp) or other on applicable models. For instance, STR-1 Rw/R or OEM 59 RP.
    7. Magnet Stagger. Flat/Staggered and Lefty Staggered options on Strat and Tele models where applicable.
    8. Pole Pieces. You can choose between Gold, Nickel or Black poles and Studs, or White, Black or Gold cap screws for Invaders.
    9. Loaded Pickguard Colors. These come stock in White but Black is an option too!
    10. Wax Potting. You can order wax potted Seth Lovers to eliminate microphonics.
    11. Single coil bottom plates. Oval vs. V bottom plates for single coils.
    12. Single coil spacing. You can order narrow spacing Strat pickups for PT Cort.

Comment

I would order a Seth Lover with no cover, matte black bobbins, black nickel poles, a black short leg baseplate, and the black Blackened Black Winter logo.

Comment

I love an A2 59’ in the bridge. I also love a rough cut UOA5 in a 59’ bridge. It takes just enough edge off the treble tone while leaving the cut and the firm bottom end. But I love the A2 as well. An A4 59’ in the neck is a great option as well.
        Play more guitar.

Comment

This has me very interested after my experiment a couple of days ago. Before I bought the SD 59 in my Indio 66 DLX Plus, I bought a Guitar Madness "59'er" with alnico 5 magnet on ebay and installed it into my 1st guitar, a black Silvertone S-style guitar. It never sounded great to me but once I got the Duncan 59, it's issues were magnified. It was very apparent why it was only $20 and the SD was $109.

Sometime after that, I got the Indio mentioned above. It came with a5 humbuckers and at some point, I bought a2 mags from Philadelphia Luthier Tools to swap into those pickups. Well during my research, I kept coming across threads where guys swapped magnets and ruined their pickups somehow. They'd have uncontrollable feedback, IIRC. So I canceled that plan and just replaced the pickups(w/ a Seth Lover neck & 59 bridge). They sound INCREDIBLE. Especially now that I've got my pedals and buffer pedals sorted.

Fast forward to a few days ago and it hit me that I could swap out the A5 mag in the Guitar Madness 59'er for an A2 from the 2 I had, so I went for it. The results were pretty surprising. This things actually sounds pretty good now. I'm guessing this magnet isn't as strong? or something as it's not as "hot" as it was previously. Though it wasn't really hot to begin with. It's just even less now. Whatever the case, that seems to be exactly what this pickup needed. I might actually play this guitar a little more now that it sounds pretty good.

Now I just need to rewire this guitar because it randomly cuts out, likely related to the work I did when I replaced the pots, switch, and jack about 3 months after I got it. I was using a very crappy soldering iron with an oxidized tip that barely worked and only had 1 tiny, unoxidized spot on it that would melt solder.

So yeah, doing that makes me wonder how the Duncan would sound with the same magnet swap. I'm not really gung-ho to find out, though, so I won't be doing any magnet swaps on it.
          JC
          -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
          -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
          -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
          -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
          -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
          -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            I would order a Seth Lover with no cover, matte black bobbins, black nickel poles, a black short leg baseplate, and the black Blackened Black Winter logo.
            you forgot the wax potting

Comment

Originally posted by Wound_Up View Post
              The results were pretty surprising. This things actually sounds pretty good now. I'm guessing this magnet isn't as strong? or something as it's not as "hot" as it was previously. Though it wasn't really hot to begin with. It's just even less now. Whatever the case, that seems to be exactly what this pickup needed. I might actually play this guitar a little more now that it sounds pretty good.
              I had similiar results years ago with a GFS and with a Tonerider, with A2s things went gorgeous better.

I guess, is it possible the A2 is a more forgiving magnet ?

Comment

My last SL set had black powder-coated covers, black screws, black short leg baseplate, and small black SD logo in the corner.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

My favorite 59 set are unpotted, degaussed, and with a rough cast A5.
                  I'm about to do that to the 59/C as well and see how those sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

My last SL set had black powder-coated covers, black screws, black short leg baseplate, and small black SD logo in the corner.
                    What guitar did you put those in?

Comment

What guitar did you put those in?
                      It was a Warmoth, with a black limba body, and roasted flame maple scalloped neck.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4572.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	6259858

Comment

It was a Warmoth, with a black limba body, and roasted flame maple scalloped neck.

That's a cool look, Mincer. I'm curious about what looks to be white plastic rings around the bridge posts. Never seen that before.

Comment

Very nice!

Kinda the opposite of what my guitars are. Yours is a modern player/looker with classic sounds. Mine are classic player/lookers with over-the-top sounds.

Comment

I just wish you would round the fret ends. :P
                            The things that you wanted
                            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post

That's a cool look, Mincer. I'm curious about what looks to be white plastic rings around the bridge posts. Never seen that before.
                              Just the chrome inserts.

Comment

Working...
                              X