Super Distortion or AT-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Distortion or AT-1

If you had to pick a Super Distortion or an AT-1, which would you choose and why. Sell me on one or the other.

1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Never used either but I would say Super Distortion just because I want to try one for many years but cannot decide on the neck pickup to match.

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
      Never used either but I would say Super Distortion just because I want to try one for many years but cannot decide on the neck pickup to match.
      Super 2!

Comment

i've used both, albeit in very different guitars. the super distortion is a classic, but i much preferred the at-1. can't really sell you on one or the other but i found the at-1 to be a little more musical with a growlier midrange and a slightly softer, crunchier feel, for lack of a better term. The SD was crunchy for sure, but it was a little harsher sounding to my ears. But again, different guitars. SD was in a BC Rich Bich and the AT-1 was in a Kramer Baretta.
        Quality riffs in about a minute...
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
          PAF Pro

Depends on what you like and how your guitar sounds. For me i freqently seek for balance. If my guitar is bright, i go for warmer/darker pickups. If guitar is warmer i go for brighter pickups. Generally speaking, SD is brighter, AT-1 is warmer.
          Official Author of Guitarism Section of SOUND Magazine, TR

Click Here to Guitarism Blog for Special Interviews, Reviews and Articles

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
            Super 2!
            It is hell of a neck humbucker. Bright and powerful
            Official Author of Guitarism Section of SOUND Magazine, TR

Click Here to Guitarism Blog for Special Interviews, Reviews and Articles

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open." Frank Zappa

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              Super 2!
              dont like it in the bridge much at all, but it can be cool in the neck of the right guitar

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

dont like it in the bridge much at all, but it can be cool in the neck of the right guitar
                I'm actually the other way around, LOL.

In the right guitar, it can be a cool bridge pickup. Obviously, depends on the application too. Some guitars are just sooooo dull, especially the ones with the bridge pickup really far away from the bridge. Plus it can be tamed by 250K pots, IME.

In the neck, it's only in very specific applications that it works for me.

I do believe it was designed to be the Super Distortion Neck, though. That's why I suggested it.

Comment

Working...
                X