Humbuckers For Blacktop Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbuckers For Blacktop Strat?

I just got a Fender Blacktop Strat... The problem is it doesn't have any electronics. I'm wondering what a good PAF-style pickup is for strats (I've got Seths and Ants in Les Pauls and a 335). I was considering the Pearly Gates, '59s, and the Saturday Night Special.

I typically play pretty clean. Genres are Southern Rock, Pop Rock, and Worship style.

I love the Alnico II Pro in Strats, and for more beef in the bridge, I use a Custom Custom. It really depends on the EQ you prefer.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like '59's the best of all the Duncan PAF-types.

Comment

I like the 59B in Strat types, but I tend to prefer a tad more midrange.
        A2Pro is a good choice. 59/Custom hybrid is even better for my taste.
        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I'm real partial to the Pearly Gates in a Strat bridge, esp. for the Southern Rock, if you want more oomph the CC is pure gold...
          Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
          Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
          Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
          Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

a 59 set is great in a strat

Comment

I like the CustomCustom bridge and Pearly neck. Pearly set is good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                I love the Alnico II Pro in Strats, and for more beef in the bridge, I use a Custom Custom. It really depends on the EQ you prefer.
                I agree

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                  I like '59's the best of all the Duncan PAF-types.
                  In my experience a standard 59 in a strat might be a bit to scooped and bright, ithe scale is longer and the bridge doesn't help, a A2 magnet is generally better suited. The other option is using a higher output HB, the JB works fine in a strat for example

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post

In my experience a standard 59 in a strat might be a bit to scooped and bright, ithe scale is longer and the bridge doesn't help, a A2 magnet is generally better suited. The other option is using a higher output HB, the JB works fine in a strat for example
                    Depends on the Strat too.

IME, while my Strat is acoustically brighter than my Gibson, the pickguard has the bridge pickup further away from the bridge itself than any Gibson. So amplified, it tends to be actually smoother and rounder than the Gibson. The average Fender pickguard (with holes for humbuckers) has the bridge pickup further away from the bridge than a Gibson or most other guitars with humbuckers, really. So that tends to round off the bridge pickup considerably.
                    Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-03-2024, 11:15 AM.

Comment

i had a 59 set in a strat for a while and really liked it, ended up going back to ss eventually to better suit what i was playing at the time. the 59 set has a great wind and takes mag swaps very well though, so its a great set to play around with. a3 neck, a2 bridge is great. a buddy has stock neck and a8 bridge and loves it, though he may have a 250k bridge volume control in there, i cannot recall

Comment

Working...
                      X