banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Took the cover off of a humbucker...how do I fix this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took the cover off of a humbucker...how do I fix this?

Despite how easy it looked on YouTube, I was surprised when I took the cover off of this JB I recently picked up to find the coils not taped and the shielding showing. Fairly certain it's my fault. How do I go about salvaging this humbucker?

what are you trying to do? looks like a trembucker to me

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      what are you trying to do? looks like a trembucker to me
      It is--I bought it dirt cheap for an HSS Strat and needed to get the cover off in order for it to fit in the pickguard.

Unfortunately the coils are all exposed and appear damaged (I've never taken the cover off of a pickup before so correct me if I'm wrong). I'm curious what I need to do in order to repair this so I can use this now-uncovered pickup in my Strat.

Comment

Check if there's a problem before freaking out. Tie red and white together, then measure the resistance across black and green. Are you getting 0? If it's reading about 16k, then you're good.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i dont see any coil showing, the copper color is a shielding wrap around the coil (do not try and remove it or you may damage the actual coil)

Comment

I would put the cover back on and open/widen the hole in the pickguard with a file so the pickup fits with the pickup cover on. The other option would be messing with the wax and taping up the coils and it does not sound like you are ready for that.

Comment

Is there an actual problem or are you just wanting to cover the ugly exposed coils? If the latter, you can buy some cloth pickup tape from Amazon that will do the trick. You may have to scrape off a bit of wax for the best results, but you should be able to do that without much trouble or any special tools.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                Check if there's a problem before freaking out. Tie red and white together, then measure the resistance across black and green. Are you getting 0? If it's reading about 16k, then you're good.

Hey this was helpful, thank you. Shows about 16k ohm (15.88 to be exact).

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i dont see any coil showing, the copper color is a shielding wrap around the coil (do not try and remove it or you may damage the actual coil)
                  Having never removed a pickup cover before I think I naively expected it to look like a normal uncovered humbucker covered in wax. TIL!

Comment

Originally posted by SweetClyde99 View Post
                    Is there an actual problem or are you just wanting to cover the ugly exposed coils? If the latter, you can buy some cloth pickup tape from Amazon that will do the trick. You may have to scrape off a bit of wax for the best results, but you should be able to do that without much trouble or any special tools.
                    I'm very publicly learning. Thanks for the tip on the cloth pickup tape; I'm going to gently scrape off the wax and then wrap it. Should hopefully be good to go then.

Comment

just be careful scraping the wax off near the coil, the wire is as fine as hair

Comment

Originally posted by pentatonicwanker View Post

Hey this was helpful, thank you. Shows about 16k ohm (15.88 to be exact).
                        Yeah, you're cool then. Pickup should still be fine. Just wrap some tape around it if you want to hide the coils and call it a day.
                        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

instead of scraping it
                          take a hair dryer and warm it up and it will wipe off
                          EHD
                          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

wiping is dangerous, don't do it

Comment

Originally posted by marcello252 View Post
                              wiping is dangerous, don't do it
                              Wiping is dangerous
                              but scraping is ok?

Serious

Are you just in mood today?
                              EHD
                              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                              X