DK24 HH not digging pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK24 HH not digging pickup

Hi, I have a DK24 HH FR with a SD full shred in the bridge. I am running through a plexi clone that is really mid heavy. With my stock SGJ it sounds great, nice and juicy, but with the Charvel it is WAY middy. Both guitars have a maple neck and mahogany bodies. so the pickups must be the issue here. The amp treble and presence are dimed with the DK and with the SG they can be all @ 12 o clock Any suggestions on which pickup would get me closer to the more biting treble side?

Welcome to the forum!

Well, the Full Shred is the brightest humbucker SD makes, so not much (outside of active pickups) can be brighter. What you might need is a pickup with hardly any mids, like the Custom 5 which is severely scooped. I use one in a very mid-heavy poplar Music Man, and it sounds more 'normal' to me.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

^ The Full Shred is the Custom 5 but with hexz.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Maybe I should have said lower mids are heavy. I think midrange is too subjective. I would love to see the frequency response of a 61 zebra in my 2014 sg

Comment

Another option is a Dimebucker/Jazz set.

Comment

This and other forums are calling this p/u "ice picky and bright" which I don't hear at all, sort of round and honky. If I turn on my rangemaster, I get kind of a randy rhoades tone but never really bright.

Comment

Generally, going down in output makes it more bright and bitey.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Ah, then maybe a PAF type

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                  Generally, going down in output makes it more bright and bitey.
                  Except the Alnico II Pro.

Comment

I've the same guitar, don't like the FS either. No bite whatsoever.
                    --------------------------------------------------------
                    1973 Aria 551
                    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Are you going to try something else?

Comment

I would normally be looking to tame the biting treble response of a plexi type amp, but maybe if you don't need real high output the Screamin Demon would do what you want?
                        Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
                        Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
                        Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
                        Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

Does it sound any better if you can lower the pickup away from the strings?

Sometimes one piece maple necks and mahogany bodies can contribute to a thick tone IMO. Woods and guitar hardware are not all equal either.

Comment

I've tried adjustments and I think I want to try a SD 78 or 59

Comment

Originally posted by audiosalvage View Post
                              I've tried adjustments and I think I want to try a SD 78 or 59
                              Both are pretty scooped, so either will help with the 'too many mids' issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X