Bridge Pickup to match a Pearly Gates Neck pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Pickup to match a Pearly Gates Neck pickup

I'm looking to replace the pickups in my PRS SE Swamp Ash Special. I have a Pearly Gates neck pickup that I would like to use. I'm going to install an APS-1 in the middle. Trying to decide on a bridge pickup. I was initially thinking of a Pearly Gates bridge pickup; but thought about a Custom Custom as well. I did have a custom Custom at one time in an alder body guitar. It was too dark. The SAS with its ash body and maple neck/fretboard should offer more brightness than the other. Thoughts?
    -Butch

I was going to suggest Custom Custom. A plain old Custom could also work well.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

do you want more of a paf tone (pgb) or something smoother and hotter? the cc is a good match for the pgn, and if its too dark, try an a3 magnet. the a3 custom is a nice pup with a bit less low mid than the cc

Comment

I want to stay with something alnico 2. I would be happy to go with the PGb but I have had bad luck in the past with matched sets like that. Seems I have had to lower the neck pickup and raise the bridge pickup excessively to balance the outputs. Is the PG set good for that?
        -Butch

Comment

its a paf set, so putting the neck low and bridge high is typically how they are set.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            do you want more of a paf tone (pgb) or something smoother and hotter? the cc is a good match for the pgn, and if its too dark, try an a3 magnet. the a3 custom is a nice pup with a bit less low mid than the cc
            I guess I would like something a little smoother and hotter in the bridge. Was thinking Warren DeMartini maybe? It's alnico 2.
            Last edited by Butch Snyder; 05-20-2024, 03:01 PM.
            -Butch

Comment

smoother and hotter sounds like the cc, or a3 custom.

Comment

A Custom Custom is also a good choice.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a CC in an Ibanez RG470 ash body with maple neck, the guitar is quite bright and the Custom Custom is a great fit. Currently I have an A8 magnet in there, but the next strings change I'll revert back to A2.

Comment

As stated in an earlier post, I had the CC one time and it was too dark in the guitar I had; alder body, maple neck/fretboard. I imagine swamp ash body, maple neck/fretboard would make it a little brighter but probably not to my liking.
                    -Butch

Comment

Dimarzio Air Norton
                      Unveiling the sonic marvel: DiMarzio Air Norton as a bridge pickup. Turn your superstrat into a Les Paul

www.tonejourney.com
                      www.instagram.com/tonejournei​

Comment

Why so fixated on an A2 pup? You said you had an A2 (CC) in it and it was too dark, so put an A5 in the CC and you'll have what you're really wanting. (Yes the PG is an A2 pup, but it is pretty bright, not like a CC. The magnet isn't the only thing that determines how a pup sounds).
                        Originally Posted by IanBallard
                        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

2nd A3 in the Custom. Will be a similar sound to what you're familiar with but less slop.

Comment

I say, skip the requirements of the magnet, and go for a pickup that particular guitar needs, no matter how it is made or what magnet it uses. Limiting it to a magnet doesn't make sense.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have a Pearly Gates bridge pickup in two guitars. That is my favorite pickup!

Comment

Working...
                              X