banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet another: "How do you get this tone", thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another: "How do you get this tone", thread.

I've never been a big Journey fan, but I DO love this song. How does Neal get this tone? (Focus on the 2 minute mark.) He's playing on the bridge pup, but it has that cocked wah sound.

Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-10-2024, 08:56 AM.

Bridge pup with the tone rolled off would be my guess?
    Jackson Dominion Bourbon Burst-Duncan '59 bridge, Screamin' Demon neck
    Jackson Dominion Wine Drunk-Super Distortion bridge, Custom Custom neck (don't hit me!)
    Dean Chicago Flame V Classic Black-Dimarzio Super Distortion neck & bridge
    Laney, Peavey, Marshall...

Comment

You can't get that tone without that afro!
      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

You could probably get it by picking closer to the bridge in the middle position into a tubescreamer. Is that accurate? Probably not, but it would work.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

According to this article it was effectively a Strat in a Plexi:

And regarding the cocked wah thing, I would keep in mind that good old capacitance factor used to mellow the sound by folks like Hendrix, SRV or... Santana, the one who did put Neal on orbit. ;-)

When it comes to Journey, I'm a big fan of a tune named "Topaz", BTW. Superb playing and tone too. :-)
          Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

here is a vid where he talks about the Strat he recorded the song with.

Comment

Originally posted by strat dude View Post
              https://youtu.be/CcdXxNukbdo?si=22unAu8uTLShfPhS
              here is a vid where he talks about the Strat he recorded the song with.
              I saw him play that guitar on the Departure Tour. he ripped up Precious Time with it.

Comment

Listening to it, I don't believe he used the bridge pickup on the recording. Sounds like the middle or neck of a 60's Strat to me.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  Listening to it, I don't believe he used the bridge pickup on the recording. Sounds like the middle or neck of a 60's Strat to me.
                  I was thinking the same thing. In the video, he said he would often knock it out of the middle out-of-phase position.

Comment

I was thinking that too

Comment

I'll have to agree that it sounds like he's using the neck pickup. What ever pickup he's using, it sounds great. To me, he's one of the best.

Comment

Originally posted by freefrog View Post
                        When it comes to Journey, I'm a big fan of a tune named "Topaz", BTW. Superb playing and tone too. :-)
                        If I heard that on the radio, I'd never guess that was Journey. Now, there's two Journey songs I like.

Comment

Working...
                        X