Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stacked Single coil = Humbucker??

hey guys,
    I am not sure if I got this right but I remember reading that there is somthing called a Stacked Single coil, which has double the poles for each string.

Does that mean it will sound like a humbucker??

Cause I might buy a guitar that has H-S-S.

Any info would help.

thanks,
    Duke
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Re: Stacked Single coil = Humbucker??

It doesn't have double poles. It looks just like a regular single coil. Internally it's basically just 2 single coils on top of eachother to get rid of the annoying hum that single coils have. It doesn't sound like a humbucker at all, it just sounds like a normal strat pickup but hum cancelling. (i wonder what it would sound like if both the coils were in series....)

Comment

Originally posted by Cory_Dylan
      It doesn't have double poles. It looks just like a regular single coil. Internally it's basically just 2 single coils on top of eachother to get rid of the annoying hum that single coils have. It doesn't sound like a humbucker at all, it just sounds like a normal strat pickup but hum cancelling. (i wonder what it would sound like if both the coils were in series....)
      Thanks for the correction Cory.. Appriciate it!

I could be wrong but I remember seeing a single coil pickup that has double the amount of poles. or am I just dreaming??

thanks,
      Duke
      www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

maybe you're dreaming
        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
        • G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

You can get humbuckers in single coil sizes. Little 59, Hot Rails, Cool Rails etc.
          Originally posted by Duke of Metal
          I remember seeing a single coil pickup that has double the amount of poles.
          My Duncan demos and songs

Comment

The "little" series has double rows of poles (little 59, JBjr, little scr. demon). These are essentially humbuckers that fit in a single coil's space, so you will get a humbucker's benefits. However, they won't sound exactly like their full sized counterparts. Close, but not quite. The "Rails" series have twin rails, thus the name (Cool Rails, Hot Rails, Vintage Rails). These are also true humbucking pickups that fit into a single coil sized route. I prefer these in my H/S/S guitars.
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I don't think that's what he's talking about. I also rember some kind of "stack" pickup, and it had double the amount of pole pieces. Not side by side, but on top of eachother. (one above the string, one under the string) Kinda like a bass pickup, but for a 6 string. Is that what your talking about?

Comment

Btw, it looked like a P-90.

Comment

I drew a picture of what I remember seeing. its somthing like this:

Each string would be sitting between every 2 poles type of a thing.

thanks,
                  Duke
                  www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Looks like a Carvin pickup, or perhaps a Parallel Axis stack.

Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Working...
                    X