Invader pickup in SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invader pickup in SG

I recently installed an Invader in the bridge position of my SG. I was looking for less high end out of my bridge pickup which is why I got the Invader. I'm a little disappointed since it still sounds shrilly. Could I have wired it wrong? I'm open to suggestions.

Re: Invader pickup in SG

That's wierd. Try adjusting the height of the pickup, as well as your amp settings. The Invader is sludge-city in my SG, even with the amp's bass on "half", it's still to muddy. It sounds practically like a neck pickup, bassy with little treble to speak of. You might have wired it backwards. I believe Black is the power wire and the Green and Bare are used as the ground wire. Then just twist the White and Red together, solder 'em, and tape over the wire.

Comment

Originally posted by xStonr
      I recently installed an Invader in the bridge position of my SG. I was looking for less high end out of my bridge pickup which is why I got the Invader. I'm a little disappointed since it still sounds shrilly. Could I have wired it wrong? I'm open to suggestions.
      what do mean with shrilly something like harsh?
      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
      TS 7 (modded)
      Hot Rod 50+ XL
      Framus Dragon 4x12
      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

It actually has a little bit of a brightness factor to it, so does the guitar you have it in. Anyways, what value pots are you using? Caps on the tone pot? You may want to lower to a 300K or 250K if it's 500K or increase the size of the tone cap. If it's like a really nasty peak shrill sound lowering the value of the pots (simulated by turning the volume knob on your guitar down to 9 or 8) would be what does the trick.
        Last edited by korinastratkyle; 05-24-2004, 04:48 PM.
        ScreamingDaisy: I don't do sympathy. If you want sympathy, it can be found in the dictionary between sh*t and syphilis.

Comment

I have an Invader in one of my SG's and it sounds like God. It sustains better than any other guitar I own (including a 13 lb Les Paul Custom and a Washburn Falcon) and I haven't had any problems with it being too shrill or anything except loud. Might be the wiring.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel
            what do mean with shrilly something like harsh?
            It's much brighter than I thought.

I'm not sure about the value of my pots, but I have been considering swapping out all the electronics since I got this guitar used.

Comment

these guys are right, its most likely the wiring, or maybe the pots. if you have 500k get the 300k pots with the Invader; its in between too weak and too strong.
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

with an invader thats being to toppy, id use a 500k volume pot and 250k tone pot

Comment

An Invader in my SG was a mud-machine with the standard 300K pots. I tried various capacitors and still nothing but that sloppy mud sound. The Distortion that replaced it was better but still too loose.

Comment

I've decided to replace all the pots, caps, switch,and wiring in the SG. I ordered cts 500k pots and .047 Microfarad caps. I will rewire to the diagram I got called the Ultimate SG wiring. So I'll update ya all when this gets done.

Comment

Begging your pardon, but that sounds like a lot of work for a set up that should sound like the 2nd coming to begin with. My 75 SG with the Invader in the bridge doesn't take any prisoners! I'd like to see the wiring, though....
                      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Hey, when you're done with all that wiring, will you sell me your SG?
                        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Working...
                        X