• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dr.barlo
    replied
    Re: PG+ in a LP: VooW!

Originally posted by Evan Skopp
    Interesting. When Mike Lewis of Fender and I came up with the PGP back in the mid-'90s, we certainly weren't thinking of it in terms of a Les Paul. But nøw that I think about it, why not?

And yes, it's standard humbucker (not Trembucker) spacing.
    Then my most sincere thanks for the PG+, to you and Mike Lewis. 8)

Evan, I would very much appreciate if you could answer the following. How similar would you say a 8.75K PG+ and a 8.80K Jimmy Page custom shop bridge are? In my PG+ I hear some uppermids that are less pronounced in my 8.72K a5 antiquity bridge.

B

Leave a comment:

• Evan Skopp
    replied

Interesting. When Mike Lewis of Fender and I came up with the PGP back in the mid-'90s, we certainly weren't thinking of it in terms of a Les Paul. But nøw that I think about it, why not?

And yes, it's standard humbucker (not Trembucker) spacing.

Leave a comment:

• Farkus
    replied

Hey everyone!

Well, I don't care for the PG+ that much. But then again, I'm not exactly a 'PAF' dude, either. Give me a JB any day of the week! I will say that I REALLY disliked it when playing through a line6 POD...it sounded a lot better through my DSL 2000 into the 4x12 cabinet, though!

Someone mentioned VHII. One of my buddies (that doesn't even play guitar) heard a blues-rock style demo that I did with the PG+ and the Marshall...he thought I sounded just like EVH on Van Halen I. That's pretty funny, b/c I like EVH tone, but I didn't hear it the way he did.

Through the right amp...this pickup is okay. I'd prefer that the LS strats came with JB's or FS's though...they're my current fav's.

See ya!

Farkus

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    replied

Really great to see I am not alone when it comes to appreciating the PG+. It is a pickup!

B

Leave a comment:

• philthis
    replied

and I'll bet its one cuttin thru mutha with that coveted singing gain tone even on big bends am I right? with this pick up I get the sweetest clip and gain combo from my amp I have ever heard thru this amp. its simply orgasmic yup, I think I need a smoke after I play with it.

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    replied

Originally posted by philthis
    hey doc, know what ive noticed about this issue, all the drop d thrash guys hate pg+ cuz its not base heavy enough for them-its not their tone style. all the guys with a little dinky speaker hate it cuz with that little ten or 8 inch speaker it sounds to bright and gainey. most guys who like this pickup are guys with a quality amp and at least 1 or more 12 inch speakers who like rock and blues some metal. I think with eather a 2/12 celestion vintage 30's or 4/12 cab vintage 30's this pickup sounds realy good. for me I hear its same tone in remastered van halen 2. bright, crunchy, lots of gain, tons of harmonics, most favorite paf humbucker I ever played and I played alot of um. I use mine in a american strat, vintage trem, maple neck and it cuts thru very nice with my rectoverb. for a floyd rose trem you do need somthing with at least medium to high output so this pickup imo not for that guitar combo.
    Very cool observations, and explanations. I agree, in fact that pickup more than anything is the reason why I could not resist buying that sienna burst lone star fat strat of mine.

I am running it through either modded Blues Jr. or 59 bassman RI, sometimes with mesa boogie v-twin or barber direct drive.

B

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    replied

Originally posted by Seraphial
    Yeah, I've been thinking about pulling out my PG+ and sticking it in an LP or similar. Thanks for trying it for me man! All I'm worried about is if the polepieces will still line up in an LP (I'm still gonna nickel cover it tho). Does it matter?
    You are welcome.

It will line up, it's (at least mine) standard Gibson spacing.

B

Leave a comment:

• Seraphial
    replied

Yeah, I've been thinking about pulling out my PG+ and sticking it in an LP or similar. Thanks for trying it for me man! All I'm worried about is if the polepieces will still line up in an LP (I'm still gonna nickel cover it tho). Does it matter?

Leave a comment:

• philthis
    replied

hey doc, know what ive noticed about this issue, all the drop d thrash guys hate pg+ cuz its not base heavy enough for them-its not their tone style. all the guys with a little dinky speaker hate it cuz with that little ten or 8 inch speaker it sounds to bright and gainey. most guys who like this pickup are guys with a quality amp and at least 1 or more 12 inch speakers who like rock and blues some metal. I think with eather a 2/12 celestion vintage 30's or 4/12 cab vintage 30's this pickup sounds realy good. for me I hear its same tone in remastered van halen 2. bright, crunchy, lots of gain, tons of harmonics, most favorite paf humbucker I ever played and I played alot of um. I use mine in a american strat, vintage trem, maple neck and it cuts thru very nice with my rectoverb. for a floyd rose trem you do need somthing with at least medium to high output so this pickup imo not for that guitar combo.
    Last edited by philthis; 05-24-2004, 04:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• STRATDELUXER97
    replied

Originally posted by dr.barlo
    I recently took out the 8.75K PG+ from my tx sp fat strat. I really liked this pickup in that guitar, but I just wanted to turn that guitar into a real strat and try the strat ant custom single coil I got from Lew. PG+ is not going back in.

I know many of you guys don't think that highly of that pickup. While I do not agree with that perception, I wanted to see how it would do in a LP bridge position. So I took out my timbucker bridge and installed that PG+.

The result turns out great! It sound very close to that timbucker bridge of mine with less 3d properties and harmonics. But hey, LPF guys can kill for a set of timbuckers, and that makes me believe PG+ is the most underrated HB of all times. Dunno why?

As a result of that experiment (BTW it looks ugly, that off-white (parchment) color does not match!) I confidently can say that among all the duncans my favorite potted HB is that PG+.

So guys who don't like PG+'s lets discuss this. I mean for those you loving voodoos timbuckers or a5 modded ants etc either you did not give it a try, or there is something going on that I cannot hear.

B
    Hello Doc....Very cool...So does this mean I'll have to take my PG+ out of my drawer,stick a nickel cover on it,and try it in place of the "Hybrid" that's in my Love Rock now? Thanks for nothing! How are ya buddy?
    John

Leave a comment:

• dr.barlo
    started a topic PG+ in a LP: VooW!

PG+ in a LP: VooW!

I recently took out the 8.75K PG+ from my tx sp fat strat. I really liked this pickup in that guitar, but I just wanted to turn that guitar into a real strat and try the strat ant custom single coil I got from Lew. PG+ is not going back in.

I know many of you guys don't think that highly of that pickup. While I do not agree with that perception, I wanted to see how it would do in a LP bridge position. So I took out my timbucker bridge and installed that PG+.

The result turns out great! It sound very close to that timbucker bridge of mine with less 3d properties and harmonics. But hey, LPF guys can kill for a set of timbuckers, and that makes me believe PG+ is the most underrated HB of all times. Dunno why?

As a result of that experiment (BTW it looks ugly, that off-white (parchment) color does not match!) I confidently can say that among all the duncans my favorite potted HB is that PG+.

So guys who don't like PG+'s lets discuss this. I mean for those you loving voodoos timbuckers or a5 modded ants etc either you did not give it a try, or there is something going on that I cannot hear.

B
Working...
X