Peavey Wolfgang pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Wolfgang pickups

There has been so much talk in this forum about these pups... What is it about the Wolfgangs that everyone likes? Does Peavey wind them, or does somebody else do it for them?
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Peavey Wolfgang pickups

Peavey winds these...they are pretty hot, but they have great clarity no matter how much gain you add. They don't sound quite like any other high output pickup out there. They were too hot for my tastes, but if you like high output pickups, you'll probably like them.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I bought a Wolfgang for it's feel and playability. I tried for 3 years to get use to the pickups but I never could. The neck pickup was basically okay but I found the bridge pickup to be very loud and very razor-like.

Comment

They do like good amps alot, then they sound very good really, but hot.

Comment

i absolutely love how my wolfgang sounds.
          boreddddddddddd

Comment

I like them but the bridge one does not have enough of a tight A$$
            seriously i am selling mine to get a duncan custom/DDn set.
            I am told that the custom has a tight A$$ and is much better sounding than the wolfgang bridge overall.
            the one thing i never liked about the wolfgang bridge one is that it has balls,but they are in the wrong frequency or something?
            it has a nasally mid range tone that cannot be dialed out

Comment

I think they are dry and the mid/highs are hard and cold. They have a strange mid peak that sounds like you are playing through a wha-wha pedal that is fixed in one position. (in my marshall, have not tried wolfgang in a 5150)

The JB in the bridge made my wolfie sound wet and tight and much more van halen than the stock pup's.
              Last edited by d-bone; 05-25-2004, 03:42 PM.

Comment

My Wolfie through a 5150 is pure F.U.C.K. tone...I like it even better through my Marshall...it's a bit darker but has a lot of personality. I thought about trying a JB in it, with a PGn, just for a bit of a change...but I like the stock pup's, too.

Farkus
                2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

update i just sold my last set of the wolfs, at first i loved them but after playing on them for some time i found like the one poster said that
                  "I think they are dry and the mid/highs are hard and cold. They have a strange mid peak that sounds like you are playing through a wha-wha pedal that is fixed in one position."

i agree with that and want to add,that the bridge one can cut steel but has little muscle to it's tone? a lot of presence?
                  it is actually humorous cause the guy they are made for namely eddie vanheflin
                  is said to like a warm brown sound well these are not warm and brown at all , more like icey cold and red

Comment

Eh Brown sound vanished in the 80's fyi.

And no player is alike, they also say that EMG's are cold and sterile, Carlton and Gilmoure and a few others has produced quite good tones with those.
                    And so on....remember that these guys has techs and tons of gear beside their signature stuff.
                    And the pickups sounds good in a Wolfgang.

Comment

so they're hot, but CAN be warm?
                      • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                      • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                      • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                      • G&L Tribute Comanche
                      • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                      • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I wanna know if the Custom Shop can build one for me.

J

Comment

Originally posted by me wise majic
                          I wanna know if the Custom Shop can build one for me.

J
                          A wolfgang pup? get them from peavey they sell them for $87 each

Comment

The Wolfgang pups have a very thick sound. I love mine. Plus as someone else mentioned they dont lose clarity when gain is added.

The only weak point and this is very minor. The low end is a tad loose. My Hamer Diablo with a JB trembucker has VERY tight lows. Playing both guitars back to back brings out the difference. Otherwise I probably would never have noticed it...
                            ---RCM78

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
                              A wolfgang pup? get them from peavey they sell them for $87 each
                              or just snag a set of them off ebay for cheep just have to wait for them sometimes
                              boreddddddddddd

Comment

Working...
                              X