Recommend pickups for a mahogany Ibanez S540 LTD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend pickups for a mahogany Ibanez S540 LTD

Just got one of these babies as a gift... It's really comfortable, easy to play, but the stock pickups leave a bit to be desired. I have a Peavey Predator with a Jazz and a Duncan Distortion, and frankly, it has more clarity and definition than the 540. The stock pickups are an Ibanez F1 (neck), C2 (mid) and F2 (bridge). Right now it's dark and a bit muddy. I guess that's also cause of the mahogany.

Here's a picture:

I'd like to make this a very versitile axe - everything: rock, jazz, blues, metal, fusion, etc. I was thinking about a Jazz for the neck, but I'm not sure. I do think that I'd like a single coil for the middle, not a stacked humbucker. Otherwise I have no idea..

Any suggestions?

Re: Recommend pickups for a mahogany Ibanez S540 LTD

How about... Jazz neck, vintage staggered middle, and Custom bridge.
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

JB for bridge, jazz for neck, and vintage staggered single for middle.

Comment

Heh... I was actually thinking between a JB or a Custom for the bridge...

What is this Vintage Staggered?

Comment

vintage staggered is an ssl-1 with staggered pole pieces.
          i think a jB may be better suited for that, though i love my Custom, the cleans are a bit iffy. i like the Jb's much better, plus i you cut through better with the JB IMO.

Comment

i have 2 S540: one being a Dimarzio proponent, the other, a Duncan champ i have the Invader (B) + Full Shred (N) in one & this is easily my fav guitar. it can pull off some very heavy riffs, as well as cater to my fusion needs.

Last edited by bloodswords; 05-25-2004, 06:02 PM.
            Psychic Horns

Comment

Working...
            X