X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KLINKDETROIT
    replied
    Re: 1st practice with Custom 5

Does anyone have a banshee like hum/squeel using the C5 too close to the strings? I have a C5/59neck setup in a mohagony schecter and I am not sure if my brand new tubes are the culprit or the pickups?

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    replied

bump for Brent.

Leave a comment:

• papersoul
    replied

Originally posted by BrentSP
    I never thought my LPCustom/JB was fat sounding but compared to the PRS/C5 setup it was warmer and fat and not as clear as the PRS. It kind of depressed me because I want that LP Custom to be my main axe. I'm not sure if I could get the same tone if I dropped in a C5 in the LP Custom though. This LP is every bit 10lbs with a thick plank of Mohogany/Maple.
    The LP is fatter and warmer than the PRS? The PRS is clearer? I still take fat and warm first and deal with a little loss of clarity, but maybe that is me. Maybe try the C-5 in the LP?? Maybe you are a PRS man? Sell the LP and get a singlecut?? I have an LP Standard that is between 8-9 lbs and very clear and tight! I installed a Rio Grande BBQ so it is clear, tight, warm, and thick. My baby.

Good luck, bro.

I say stick with the LP....tone tone tone!
    Last edited by papersoul; 05-28-2004, 07:45 AM.

Leave a comment:

• brisk
    replied

Honestly I do not know. I adjusted it by ear. I can tell you that its farther from the strings than any of my other guitars but not by much. I usually will used the 2 nickle rule on my guitars.
    Mine is the same. Further than normal.

Leave a comment:

• Dime59hum
    replied

Glad you like it, good to see an HC regular on SD.

Leave a comment:

• BrentSP
    replied

Originally posted by slightly_rude
    What height did you set it at? I have four Custom 5's and I set mine around .125" to .150" (1/8"to 5/32").

Honestly I do not know. I adjusted it by ear. I can tell you that its farther from the strings than any of my other guitars but not by much. I usually will used the 2 nickle rule on my guitars.
    Last edited by BrentSP; 05-27-2004, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BrentSP
    replied

Originally posted by ranalli
    What do you like better about the C5/PRS as opposed to the LP Custom/JB setup??
    I never thought my LPCustom/JB was fat sounding but compared to the PRS/C5 setup it was warmer and fat and not as clear as the PRS. It kind of depressed me because I want that LP Custom to be my main axe. I'm not sure if I could get the same tone if I dropped in a C5 in the LP Custom though. This LP is every bit 10lbs with a thick plank of Mohogany/Maple.

Leave a comment:

• dystrust
    replied

My Charvel model 4 has a (non-stock) maple neck and I'm playing it into either a Marshall 2555 or a Soldano.

Leave a comment:

• AmpliFIRE
    replied

I have the C5 in a PRS McCarty going through a Bogner Shiva EL34 head and Bogner 2x12 loaded with Classic Lead 80 and Vintage 30. I was rushed for time before practice and didn't fine tune the pickup height. I basically just set it like I do most of my guitars.

I really was disappointed. It was thin and fuzzy on the top end. When I turned up the bass it became boomy and a tad sloppy. Not much definition or clarity. I have a regular Custom in my LP Classic that sounds great. I'll have to adjust the pickup height and see if that will help.

Hey Brent...FWIW, I prefer the regular Custom and the JB over the C5 in a mahogany guitar. I find the C5 to be too scooped for lead playing.

Just my .02

Leave a comment:

• Gearjoneser
    replied

I like the C-5, but yeah, it does need to be fairly close to the strings. I'm using it with Pauls, McCarties into fairly midrangey amps tho. I can only hear it sounding thin on alder or ash into amps with less complex mids.

Leave a comment:

• slightly_rude
    replied

What height did you set it at? I have four Custom 5's and I set mine around .125" to .150" (1/8"to 5/32").

Leave a comment:

• ranalli
    replied

Pickup height has EVERYTHING to do with getting the tone right. Wow is this pickup smoke'n in my PRS.......night and day difference compared to practice Monday night. I wish I could get my LP Custom w/JB to sound like this. And the Custom is my favorite "go-to" guitar. Tight bass with clear highs and balanced mids. A+

What do you like better about the C5/PRS as opposed to the LP Custom/JB setup??

Leave a comment:

• BrentSP
    replied

Pickup height has EVERYTHING to do with getting the tone right. Wow is this pickup smoke'n in my PRS.......night and day difference compared to practice Monday night. I wish I could get my LP Custom w/JB to sound like this. And the Custom is my favorite "go-to" guitar. Tight bass with clear highs and balanced mids. A+

Leave a comment:

• KLINKDETROIT
    replied

What would be considered a good distance from the strings in the bridge C5? I like mine but I can see how some may think boomy/thin. Check out my band site to get an idea musically of what I am going for www.klinkdetroit.com I also play in a cover band so it has to work with that as well???

Leave a comment:

• BrentSP
    replied

Well, I finally adjusted the pickup height but I wasn't able to use it on the same amp (shiva) since its at rehearsal. I just used it on a Peavey Bandit practice amp. It did sound lots better but I didn't try this amp/guitar combo in the beginning. I will tonight though so I'll let you guys know.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X