banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Custom 5 In A Strat?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Custom 5 In A Strat?

    Keep in mind this is in a Strat with an original Floyd through a Marshall. To give you an idea of the tone I'm after, think of the first Van Halen album but with just a bit more hotness/bite (it does have to have some mids for at least a little sense of presence/fullness).

    1. I have tried the SD Custom Trembucker version. Too distorted (doesn't breathe) and had a 'wolfy' tone to it, especially on the lower strings.

    2. I installed the 59tb last night. Breathes but not hot enough/not enough bite. Maybe just a tad too bright (just a little). Very little harmonics :-(

    What about the Custom 5 in a Strat (or similar with an alder body)? I have ordered an A5 magnet from Ampge (and an A2 just in case) and am thinking of changing out the ceramic in the Custom to convert it to a C5. Based on my passed experience and what I'm after, I think I'm after an A5-like tone. Maybe not...

    How's the ease of harmonics with this pickup? Thoughts or suggestions? I don't like the voicing of the Screamin' Demon, nor do I think the JB is really what I'm after for a Strat.

    As an FYI, the DC resistance of the 59tb before installing was 8.75 and when installed it was 8.86. Slightly hotter than the standard specs. Huh....

    Thanks
    Chris

  • #2
    Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

    It sounds like it should be what you want...

    who knows? let us know how it turns out.
    Originally posted by The Minstrel
    Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

      I have a C5 in my Charvel model 4 with a Kahler Pro and before that I had it in a Fender H/S/S Strat with a Floyd Rose. Compared to the Custom, a C5 has softer highs and a more full low end. It is also less midrangey than the Custom.

      Unlike most of the other people on the board I do not think the C5 is a great catch-all pickup. In 90% of my guitars I'd rather have a Custom because I like the extra midrange and brightness; I find the C5 to be too dark and boomy most of the time. My Charvel has a maple fingerboard and the C5 seems like it was made for a maple Strat.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

        To be honest, if you found the '59 too bright, you're likely to have the same problem with the C5. It has the presence and output you want, but it lacks the midrange. It's also very bassy in the low strings, and almost shrill in the higher strings. It sounds like a Blues Trembucker would be perfect for you. Without a doubt, it's my favorite bridge pickup of all time. It has a little more output than the '59, more midrange than the '59 or C5, and enough presence to cut through the mix without being too bright. It was designed specifically for brighter sounding Floyd Rose guitars, I think you'd be really happy with that. But since you only need to swap magnets, try the C5 and CC first. Some people love the C5 in a Strat, I'm just not one of them.

        Ryan
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

          Originally posted by rspst14
          To be honest, if you found the '59 too bright, you're likely to have the same problem with the C5. It has the presence and output you want, but it lacks the midrange. It's also very bassy in the low strings, and almost shrill in the higher strings. It sounds like a Blues Trembucker would be perfect for you. Without a doubt, it's my favorite bridge pickup of all time. It has a little more output than the '59, more midrange than the '59 or C5, and enough presence to cut through the mix without being too bright. It was designed specifically for brighter sounding Floyd Rose guitars, I think you'd be really happy with that. But since you only need to swap magnets, try the C5 and CC first. Some people love the C5 in a Strat, I'm just not one of them.

          Ryan
          exactly.

          i have a C5 in a les paul at the moment and it borders on the thin sounding line. but to me its a great balance.. but with the brighter body of the strat, i think the C5 would have the same problem as the '59.. you might want to try the custom custom, that has an alnico 3 i believe and has a bassier response

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

            Thanks everyone. It is appreciated. Maybe I do the A2 first since a lot of people like the Custom-Custom? I will probably end up trying both but I do appreciate the post on the Blues Trembucker. I may end up picking one up, too.

            Chris

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

              Originally posted by McLaughysSN
              exactly.

              i have a C5 in a les paul at the moment and it borders on the thin sounding line. but to me its a great balance.. but with the brighter body of the strat, i think the C5 would have the same problem as the '59.. you might want to try the custom custom, that has an alnico 3 i believe and has a bassier response
              Actually, the Custom Custom is alnico 2, and has much less bass than the C5. The CC is very midrange-oriented, with less bass and softer highs. I prefer it with an alnico 3 magnet though, as that adds a little more bass and treble, without any noticeable loss of warmth. I think the Blues Trembucker is still the best choice.

              Ryan
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

                Originally posted by dystrust
                Unlike most of the other people on the board I do not think the C5 is a great catch-all pickup. In 90% of my guitars I'd rather have a Custom because I like the extra midrange and brightness; I find the C5 to be too dark and boomy most of the time. My Charvel has a maple fingerboard and the C5 seems like it was made for a maple Strat.
                I'll second that. Funny you didn't like the Custom as it sounds like exactly what you are after. Have you tried a Duncan Distortion? For harmonics the Pearly Gates is the king. Just swapped the C5 in my Jackson SLSMG for a PG for that reason.
                Slamo Custom Guitars
                -Made To Be Played...Hard!
                https://slamocustomguitars.com/

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

                  Originally posted by frankencat
                  I'll second that. Funny you didn't like the Custom as it sounds like exactly what you are after. Have you tried a Duncan Distortion? For harmonics the Pearly Gates is the king. Just swapped the C5 in my Jackson SLSMG for a PG for that reason.
                  So a PG is voiced in a way that would get me close to an 80s rock type sound like VH? As far as the DD, I've had it and it too is too distorted (like the Custom) probably since they both have a ceramic magnet.

                  Thanks
                  Chris

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

                    if i were you i'd try changing the magnets in the custom first, see if you like one and save yourself the money for a new pup. if you dont like the sound you can still buy it later.

                    if you found the '59 bright, you wont like the PG much IMO, it's much brighter.. and stay away of the distortion if you thought the custom doesnt breathe much lol

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

                      I like custom more than C5 in strat. For me, C5 sounds better in a heavier and bulkier woods like mahogany. Custom seems to do its work in any wood types including alder strat body.
                      "Tone is in the cheese." -LSP

                      "whoever says angus young is overrated is a complete idiot." -flank

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

                        I'm still sticking by my recommendation of the Blues Trembucker. It does the 80's rock thing better than the '59 or pearly Gates.

                        Ryan
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

                          Would a JB be too hot for 80's/Van Halen??

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

                            Most of the 80s hair bands used either a JB or a DiMarzio Super Distortion.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Custom 5 In A Strat?

                              i tried the c5 in my floyd rose equipped strat and i must say i didn't like it very much.While i liked the fact it had enough bass to make up for the loss of bass frequencies caused by the floyd rose tremolo it didn't had enough mids to make my guitar be heard in the mix during rehearsals with my band.It had generous amounts of bass and treble but no mids.The CC cuts much better through the mix.I think the c5 is a a better choice for les pauls than strats

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X