Replacing only one pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing only one pickup?

Is it wrong to only replace one stock pickup in a guitar if you like the other, will it effect the balance between pups? Especially if blending both together I.e in the middle position. Can it stuff up the p ots or wiring?
    PRS McCarty (59n, 59b)
    1990 Fender Strat Japan (SSL-1, SSL-1, APS-1)

Orange Dual Terror Head
    Blackstar HT-5
    2 Fender 12" Cabs with Celestion G12H30, Vintage 30
    Vox Pathfiinder 15R

Re: Replacing only one pickup?

it's fine to do

Comment

yeah dude, you'll be cool.
      This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

If it's a different strength pickup, of course it will affect the balance between pickups, but unless there's a big difference it shouldn't matter.
        Originally posted by The Minstrel
        Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

I left the stock neck pup in my stupid Tele and replaced the bridge with a QP Tele. Haven't had any problems. I've done the same with other instruments of mine, also without complaint.
          www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

my strat s liek that. It onyl has one hotrail pick up in the bridge the rest are stock pick ups. I dont really find it a problem because i never use two pick ups at the same time anyways im either on the bridge or at the neck pick up. I dont really mind for me even with this random black pick up in the brdge it loosk kidna cool.
            Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Yep, very possible. Be a little concerned about output levels - that means looking at the tone charts and as well as considering raising and lowering pickups, but then that alters the attack, punch, and aggresiveness of the pickup. Just keep your ears open.

Comment

Working...
              X