New To The Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To The Game

Hey guys, I'm just starting to look into pickups and I feel very overwhelmed with all the options. What kinds of things do I need to pay attention to before I purchase anything? Do I need to worry about size, wiring, compatability, strength, etc? Any information at all is appreciated because I am totally new to this, thanks.

Re: New To The Game

Originally posted by PickDown
    Hey guys, I'm just starting to look into pickups and I feel very overwhelmed with all the options. What kinds of things do I need to pay attention to before I purchase anything? Do I need to worry about size, wiring, compatability, strength, etc? Any information at all is appreciated because I am totally new to this, thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum!

There are a lot of things to consider but you should start by the basics...
    1-What kind of music are you playing or what kind of tone do you want?
    2- What guitar are you planning on putting the pick-ups in?
    3- What kind of amp do you play through?

Keep that in mind first when you ask questions... then it all goes to what you wanna do with it... split coils, etc...

Good luck and have fun!

Feel free to ask any question here, there are a lot of knowledgeable people all around!

Comment

that sums it up, once you asnwered those questions just post what you wnat on the forum and im sure everyone will be happy to help you out in the choice of your pick up.
      Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Welcome to the board again. Give us details and we'll give you options. Another thing to consider is the pickup wizard thing a ma bob!

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Welcome,

Hang out for awhile, you'll learn tons.
          Originally posted by Scott_F
          On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

I have an Ibanez EDR470. It's a European guitar that isn't sold in the US and it has a luthite body like Ibanez basses. The pickup setup is HSH. The most comparable American series is the S series. Currently I play through a Peavey Blazer. I only play varying types of rock and metal, so it's a fairly narrow range.

In terms of sound, it obviously has to have a heavy, crunchy sound, but I also want to be able to switch between different, distinct yet heavy sounds, so I'll probably need 3 different types/brands of pickups, unless there's a reason I shouldn't do that. I'm thinking about getting a stacked pickup for the single position, any suggestions? These pickups need to go well with a variety of effects too... I'm not sure how big of a factor this plays in a purchase.

Also, does anyone know anything about the "Speak UP" pickup at this site?: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/2004/index.html (Go to "Anchang" and scroll to the bottom. It's the weird crosscrossed one.)
            I can't read Japanese...

Thanks.

Comment

Any thoughts?

Comment

*bump*

Comment

Hmmm... how about a Custom bridge, hotrails middle, and screaming demon neck. That fits your "different heavy sounds" bill pretty well The neck model hotrails would probably balance best with the other two pickups.

EDIT: maybe a JB jr. or lil' 59 in the middle...
                  Last edited by italic zero; 05-31-2004, 08:31 PM.
                  Originally posted by The Minstrel
                  Fair as the country was and the goatboy life my fellows' lot, if I could not've imagined my music's one day whisking me Orionlike to the stars, I'd have as well flung myself into the sea. No other fate would even faintly do; an impassioned lack of alternatives moved my tongue; what for another might be a heartfelt wish was for me an absolute condition.

Comment

Working...
                  X