banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dual humbuckers: neck/middle same... what did I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual humbuckers: neck/middle same... what did I do?

I'm putting in new pickups. I realized after putting in the hardware that the middle and the neck pickups sound exactly the same (they weren't like that in the other guitar it was in). The bridge pickup has its own distinct sound, but I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.

The bridge works and the neck works, so how come the middle doesn't? Anyone have a logical guess as to what could be the fault?
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Dual humbuckers: neck/middle same... what did I do?

May be you should give a bit more info... Which pickups did you install? How did you conect them?

Comment

I pretty much kept the Dean wiring the same. The pickups are Dimarzio Virtual PAFs.

I just don't get it. Individually, the neck and bridge pickups work fine. However, the middle position just gives me the neck pickups.

The switch is shaped like this (view from bottom)

(neck position)\/\/(bridge position)
      --------------|||-----------------
      ---------------.------------------
      In the middle where the neck and bridge are, there is a red and white wire that connects to the bottom where the . is. I remember the wire came loose towards the middle (on the top) so maybe when I resoldered it to the post I didn't make direct contact or something?

If anyone has any ideas it'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

I am thinking that may be the bridge wire itis touching the output conection of the switch. So this way the bridge will be allways ON in the output. If this it is correct what you hear in the middle and neck selections it is the mix of the two humbuckers.

It is just an idea...

Comment

That could be a possibility. I'm sure it's gotta be something slightly off with the toggle switch. Thx for the reply. I'll figure this thing out

Comment

Working...
          X