X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strat_master
    replied
    Re: Thinking of switching out my C5.

a 59 set sounds very nice. Very mellow indeed and great PAF p/u's.

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Got my 59b in Saturday. (Thanks Lew.)

Technically, one could say that by replacing the C5 with the 59, I lost some versatility in this guitar - which is correct. If this was my only guitar, I would have left the C5 in. But since I now have a back-up or two, I didn't need that "country-twang" that the C5 provided. Now, using the 3-way, I have 3 slightly different flavors of the same sound, which I love.

Obviously, these two p'ups balance with each other perfectly. I get a nice tonal variation selecting either the neck or bridge, and a rich blend when selecting both.

Now that I have a "spare" C5 laying around, I wonder how it would go with that Stag Mag in the "other" Peavey . . .

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Here's Lew: Lew

. . . and here: LewsGuitars

Leave a comment:

• KLINKDETROIT
    replied

Who is Lew?? and where is he??LOL

Leave a comment:

• Lightning
    replied

I don't know if the stock trem mags are are longer than Gib space but the a4s Lew has are longer than all of the mags in my Gib spaced pickups.

Leave a comment:

• KLINKDETROIT
    replied

Where can I buy an A4 magnet for a C5 trembucker?

Leave a comment:

• Lightning
    replied

A3 lowest out put all note stay tight spike at 1.2k tilts toward Fendery

A2 more output than A3 below 400 gets real buttery sweetest mids of all mags (400 to over 2k wide spike) highs are sweet but may lack the output to bring a 14k pickup's top out of the merk

A4 Simular to A5 (tamer) lower output maybe what you need will have more spike than A5 in the mid 3000s like a 59b

I'm talking bout real freqs not resopeak figures

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
    Hey Artie -

The Custom 5 was "touching up the Mona Lisa" itself Robert S. may have been the first person to put an alnico 5 in the "Custom" pickup line, but then again Seymour himself probably tried it in some custom pups earlier... Chip
    You know . . . you're right, and I keep forgetting about that.

I already ordered the 59b, and I really would like to hear what the 59 pair sounds like. But that also means, I'll have a "spare" C5 laying around - and two other guitars to "experiment" with. Maybe I'll order a couple mag's, and play around with it.

If the C5 uses an Alnico V, I should probably get an Alnico II, and a ceramic - is that correct? Or is it a Alnico III?

Leave a comment:

• Fresh_Start
    replied

Originally posted by ArtieToo
    Hey Chip; yeah . . . I've thought about it. And I may try it in the future. For right now, I can't quite get past the idea that I'ld be second-guessing "the man". (Seymour)

Sorta like, touching up the lips on the Mona Lisa.
    Hey Artie -

The Custom 5 was "touching up the Mona Lisa" itself Robert S. may have been the first person to put an alnico 5 in the "Custom" pickup line, but then again Seymour himself probably tried it in some custom pups earlier... S-D does offer three flavors of virtually the same pickup already. Seriously, Doc Barlo, John the PedalTweaker, Lew and other guys here have done a lot of magnet swapping.

That reminds me, I "need" to find an alnico 4 magnet to try in my Custom 5 some day... and Doc swears that alnico 3 in an Antiquity is the bomb for the neck position... (IIRC)

Have fun, no matter which direction your ears lead you in!

Chip

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by Fresh_Start
    Hi Artie -

Have you thought about experimenting with different magnets before switching out the pickup entirely? It's a lot cheaper, and more fun too

Chip
    Hey Chip; yeah . . . I've thought about it. And I may try it in the future. For right now, I can't quite get past the idea that I'ld be second-guessing "the man". (Seymour)

Sorta like, touching up the lips on the Mona Lisa.

Leave a comment:

• Fresh_Start
    replied

Hi Artie -

Have you thought about experimenting with different magnets before switching out the pickup entirely? It's a lot cheaper, and more fun too

Seriously, an A2 magnet (Custom Custom) or an A3 magnet (Custom Cubed?) might be just the ticket. I tried an A3 in my alder strat in place of a Custom 5. For me, it knocked off too much of the strong, clean bottom and the chimey highs, but it may do exactly what you need in that guitar.

I've fooled around with SSL (A5) and APS (A2) single coils in two different strats - one alder and one poplar - and found that the A5 magnets sounded better in the alder guitar but the A2 magnets are perfect in the multi-piece poplar MIM strat.

Anyway, it's a cheaper way to experiment.

Have fun with it!

Chip

Leave a comment:

• ArtieToo
    replied

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969
    ArtieToo, I wish I had seen this post before today!!!! I just ordered one off of Ebay. Oh well, If you are in Jacksonville, I could have met up with you and worked out a deal for it. I do not have a '59 Bridge, but I have a few others that you might have liked. They are all pretty high output though, so maybe not. Live and learn.......
    Hey outlaw; That makes at least three of us from Jax. (You, me, and Bloodrose.) We should get together and jam sometime.

Ryan; It was a tough decision. I've been intrigued by that Blues trembucker, (btw - thats a Blues Saraceno, right?) I'll probably get one and try it eventually, but I went ahead and ordered the 59b from Lew on Saturday. I'm just really wanting to hear what the 59 pair sounds like.

(Would that make it a 118?)

Anyway, I'll report back how it goes.

Leave a comment:

• rspst14
    replied

Check out the Blues Trembucker...I recommend this pickup quite a bit, even though very few people on the board have ever tried it. It's a medium output pickup, with a little more output than the PAF style pickups, but less than the Custom series. It'll sound great in that guitar, as it was designed specifically for guitars with locking trems. Of all the pickups I've tried, I've found it to be my absolute favorite bridge pickup. It's warmer than the C5, Demon, or '59, due to the increased midrange. It has just the right amount of bass, and slightly less treble than the other pickups I mentioned. Still, it has enough brightness to cut through the mix, without ever sounding shrill or harsh. Basically, it's the holy grail of bridge pickups for me. At some point, I'm going to have the custom shop make me a standard-spaced, standard polepiece version with a nickel cover so that I can use it in another guitar but keep the stock look. Give it a try, I think you'll really like it.

Ryan

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied

Artietoo,
    I have the C5/59b combo in 2 axes and find that for my personal tastes, its an awesome setup. But, individual tastes vary. I thought I could add a couple of things. First, the CC and C5 are about the same power wise. Just a ton different tonally. Very lo mid focused. Think the tone from the song Panama.
    So, if you like the Eq curve and sound of the C5, but just want to reduce power, The 59 would prob be the way to go.. They have similar EQ curve

Leave a comment:

• OUTLAW1969
    replied

ArtieToo, I wish I had seen this post before today!!!! I just ordered one off of Ebay. Oh well, If you are in Jacksonville, I could have met up with you and worked out a deal for it. I do not have a '59 Bridge, but I have a few others that you might have liked. They are all pretty high output though, so maybe not. Live and learn.......

Leave a comment:

Working...
X