wiring troubles PLEASE HELP!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring troubles PLEASE HELP!!!!

ok, so i finally got my warmoth strat all put together, and of course, there is some wiring trouble. I have 2 humbuckers, 2 volumes, a master tone and a 3 way switch w/ NO split. i followed the diagram on the schematics page of the SD website. so the problem is: when the tone is turned up to 10, it sounds like it is turned down to 1. then, when i turn it down past 7 or so, the tone changes and it sounds as though the tone knob is at 10. it sounds like it is at 10 when it is actually anywhere from 7 to 1, and it sounds like it is turned down to 1 when it is actually anywhere from 8 to 10. Also, there is an abrupt change, not a smooth change like tone knobs are supposed to have. When i go down past 7, it makes an abrupt change to sounding like the tone knob is up at 10. I hope this makes sense. The last detail of this problem is when the knob is on 7 to 1 (sounding like it is really on 10), it gets a nasty hum that i bet would be horrible at higher volumes. My best guess is the tone pot is wired wrong, since the volume knobs work fine.

right now, the tone pot is wired like this: right prong is wired to the 3 way switch, AS WELL AS the hot lead of the output jack (mono). The middle prong is soldered to a .047uf cap., which is then grounded to the back of the tone pot. the left prong is left open. you can see a diagram of this in the schematics under my specifications mentioned above.

ANY help is appreciated. thanks guys.
    my gear: '80s fender bullet (tele style)
    fender dg20ce acoustic
    peavey blazer 15 watt
    line 6 pod 2.3 and floorboard
    Atomic Reactor 112
    Warmoth double fat strat w/ SD Jb bridge and Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell

Re: wiring troubles PLEASE HELP!!!!

Clint; it sounds to me like you've maybe misread your capacitor value.
    Like maybe, you have a .047 milli-farad, instead of micro-farad.
    This means that you're rolling of most of the audio range of the guitar - ergo, you have a second volume control, (third, in your case), thats interacting with the other two volume controls, relative to pickup loading.

The first thing I would do is replace the cap. Try a .022uf, and make certain that its "micro" and not "milli".

(Heh - we posted at the same time.)

Comment

thats how i have it set up now. i think the out line is connected to the wrong lug tho. any more help will be GREATLY appreciated. thanks
      fender dg20ce acoustic
      peavey blazer 15 watt
      Atomic Reactor 112

Comment

Clint; did you see what I posted above, about possibly having the wrong cap value?

Comment

Originally posted by clint_41
          ok, so i finally got my warmoth strat all put together, and of course, there is some wiring trouble. I have 2 humbuckers, 2 volumes, a master tone and a 3 way switch w/ NO split. i followed the diagram on the schematics page of the SD website. so the problem is: when the tone is turned up to 10, it sounds like it is turned down to 1. then, when i turn it down past 7 or so, the tone changes and it sounds as though the tone knob is at 10. it sounds like it is at 10 when it is actually anywhere from 7 to 1, and it sounds like it is turned down to 1 when it is actually anywhere from 8 to 10. Also, there is an abrupt change, not a smooth change like tone knobs are supposed to have. When i go down past 7, it makes an abrupt change to sounding like the tone knob is up at 10. I hope this makes sense. The last detail of this problem is when the knob is on 7 to 1 (sounding like it is really on 10), it gets a nasty hum that i bet would be horrible at higher volumes. My best guess is the tone pot is wired wrong, since the volume knobs work fine.

right now, the tone pot is wired like this: right prong is wired to the 3 way switch, AS WELL AS the hot lead of the output jack (mono). The middle prong is soldered to a .047uf cap., which is then grounded to the back of the tone pot. the left prong is left open. you can see a diagram of this in the schematics under my specifications mentioned above.

ANY help is appreciated. thanks guys.
          Assuming that you are right handed ... Run the CCW lug (not the CW lug like you have now) of the tone pot to the hot output line (of the output jack or wiper of volume pot) or (CW of volume pot or selector switch output ), either place will work, the first keeps more highs when the volume is rolled down, the latter will roll them off a bit ... personal taste. The two in ( ) are electrically the same, smae as the next two in ( ). Don't run the tone control wire to two different places (not sure what effect that would have).
          If you don't like the taper of the pot, then get another taper (change mostly occurring at one end), as a side note you may have damaged the pot from overheating , or it could have been damaged before. Or just a cheap pot with a lousy tolerance and taper. Can't speculate on the buzz, other than they are single coils, so ... they pick up a lot of high frequency hash as well as hum is your in a place with a lot of those frequencies floating thru the air. Either that or standing next to a flourescent light or dimmer switch ...Yuck!
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
            Clint; did you see what I posted above, about possibly having the wrong cap value?
            ya i did, sorry i was posting while u were so i ment to reply to the post above u. thanks tho i will definatly take that into consideration.
            fender dg20ce acoustic
            peavey blazer 15 watt
            Atomic Reactor 112

Comment

Working...
            X