Thinking about swapping out EMG 89s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about swapping out EMG 89s

Well, I'm thinking maybe I want to change out the dual EMG 89's in my Charvel 750xl. They have a decent enough tone, but I'm finding them to be a little lacking in the warmth department. They do split up quite nicely for some good clear cleans, however.

Anyway, the Charvel is mahogany body, maple set-neck, maple top, 24.75" scale. It has a 5 way switch for splitting the dual hums. Right now I'm playing through a Line 6 Flextone III, every now and then my 5150. I'm always looking for the ultimate shred tone. I think that the Distortion is the best metal riffing pickup ever (as evidenced in my other Charvel). And I love smooth lead tones out of a neck pickup.

Shoot me some suggestions, guys. I'm open to anything.
    Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Re: Thinking about swapping out EMG 89s

STOP!! Before you think about switching out those 89's, have you tried the 18-volt mod? It might just be the solution you want!
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

No I haven't. Tell me more.
      Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Well, I'm getting a pair of EMG's in my Ibanez as soon as they come in from the factory and was thinking about getting the mod because of what I hear about it... more headroom, better sound, and so on, so forth. Take a look at my thread "the infamous EMG 18-volt mod!" for much more info, if you haven't already.
        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
        • G&L Tribute Comanche
        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Working...
        X