banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I wire up my new 3 way toggle switch - LP style?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I wire up my new 3 way toggle switch - LP style?

Hey guys. I was having trouble with my other toggle switch and I decided to take a high quality one I bought I while back from my old defunct guitar.

It has three lugs on one side and two on the other. Can anyone tell me which lugs are for the ground, bridge, neck pups? I'm almost done wiring this stupid archtop so hopefully I can get this rolling. Thanks
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: How do I wire up my new 3 way toggle switch - LP style?

pp
    bbb

looks like that
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

I think the one lug on that side of the toggle gets wired to ground, then...you know what, they have schematics on the duncan website you can use, there also some at guitarelectronics.com. I don't have a direct link at the moment but they aren't hard to find. Gimmie a minute.
      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
      Originally posted by Sosomething
      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.
        Last edited by korovamilkdud; 05-28-2004, 04:45 PM.
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.

Comment

Thanks for the links Korovamilkdud!

The problem is the two lug part of the switch. Normally, switches seem to be with one lug in the back and four in the front. The ground is attached to the back one and the two middle. The hot of the pups are attached to the side lugs.

However, I'm not sure what to do with the lugs on the back. I think MRID knew how to do it before (on the old forum he helped me). Something about the back two were one hot connection, the middle was the ground/output jack part, and the two side were another hot connection? I thought it was something like that, but before I get more solder all over the place I want to make sure I have it right.

Comment

Please, anyone?

Comment

Lost me.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                Please, anyone?
                Well, its not hard to tell which lug is what when you look at it, have a digital camera? can you take a whole buncha pictures of the switch and the contacts in it and such? then i can help

Comment

All the LP toggles I've used has the single ground in back...maybe you should get a new switch? Here's the diagram I used.
                  LP wiring
                  Good luck

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
                  Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
                  Celestion speakers
                  Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
                  Too many pedals....

Comment

All of the LP style 3 way switches I have seen are the wafer type, with the conductors seperated by an insulator. If you look at the wafers/conductors you should notice that on the side that has 2 terminals, the conductors are coming from the inner most portion of the wafer. You want to solder those 2 conductors together and use them to connect to the tip terminal (hot) of your output jack.

The two terminals with their conductors to the outside of the wafer will be used to connect the feeds from your pots. With Gibson guitars these will be the red and white wires from the 4 conductore harness, with other makers you'll need to check the pots for the proper colors.

The 5th terminal should be the ground connection.

A picture of the switch or a link to a pic of a simular switch would be a big help.
                    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
                    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
                    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by butnut
                      All the LP toggles I've used has the single ground in back...maybe you should get a new switch? Here's the diagram I used.
                      LP wiring
                      Good luck
                      Actually, the stock Dean switch looked like that. I understand the one on the back is the ground (and that's also attached to the two middle lugs - I think)? Would the hot from the pups go to the leftmost and the other hot would go from the rightmost?

Robert is right. The Epi LP replacement switch I used has the insulated wafers setup as well with two parts in the back (no doubt, the ground as he mentioned). I found out that this switch is too tall to fit properly in my semi-hollowbody anyways. Looks like I'm sticking with the stock Dean switch and if that doesn't work... I'll go to a guitar store and hunt for another one similar.

Sorry about all these questions. One thing I really need to work on is a) my soldering skills... tighten up everything, make better connections etc and b) get a better understanding of how switches work, pups, and guitar electronics in general (I really have little to no concept on why certain lugs and certain things are wired/grounded). I really need to get a book that can explain all these advanced concepts in detail. But, first thing is first... I need this guitar up and running

Thank you all for your responses and your help. I'm keeping close mental notes of everything. Is my guessing for the wiring (according to Butnut's style switch) correct? Man I feel ignorant.
                      Last edited by That90'sGuy; 05-30-2004, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Allparts makes that version of the LP toggle, I used it in my Tele's as it is shorter than the Gibsons...although I would have preferred the Switchcraft. Allparts can be found most anywhere. Funny thing about the Allparts, on both Tele's I thought I had bad switches as they would cut out at times after I installed them. A blast of contact cleaner from the top made it all good and they never cut out again. If the Dean switch looks like the diagram, best you replace it with a like switch to avoid hassles, good luck, you'll get better at it, at least you're trying and that is the first step. I like using paste flux when soldering too...it makes it easier IMO.

Celestion speakers
                        Too many pedals....

Comment

Butnut, am I correct with the wiring of it? I'm willing to try it out first with the Dean switch and if that doesn't work, I'll get one from a nearby store.

Comment

*bump*

Comment

The upper pic is the LP diagram I used. Center 2 lugs to jack, outer lugs to their perspective pups/pots. I highly recommend getting some mini-jumpers (small alligator clips on single wires) from Radio Shack. You can 'clip on' all your connections and 'test' it before soldering. Just plug into your amp, and tap the pup poles with a screwdriver, as you flip your switch, or strum if you have your strings on. If they work, just solder as you remove your jumpers. Good luck.

Celestion speakers
                              Too many pedals....

Comment

Working...
                              X