New pups for SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New pups for SG

I have stock pups in there now. I want well...just MORE.

I've found I like the combination of X2N with a Breed Neck, On the SG I was thinking SUPER Dist and Breed. I know I like the breed neck, but I don't want the Evolution or X2N in the bridge unless I've got a whammy to work with (and I don't on my SG). So, what do you guys suggest?

I Like Duncan a lot, they tend to sound a bit more natural, but after having a Super Dist taken out of my Paul (it was dead) and the X2n/Breed in my Kelly, I'm pretty much convinced that DiMarzios sound just as good as any pup (and the SUPER Dist is $60)
    "Even though I get so high,
    and think that I can fly,
    when I fall out of the sky,
    who'll be standing by?"

-Dream Theater

Re: New pups for SG

Maybe a duncan distortion would be your bag. What style of music do you play exactly?
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

If your upgrading from the factory 490's anything is an improvement IMO. I started with a '59/Invader combo in my Gothic SG, but these two pups didn't work well together. So I switched the Invader to a Distortion which was much better. I ended up with a Demon in the end which hits the spot. I do wish I tried the Custom and still may real soon.

Comment

I play a lot. No country.

Um. Plain old rock and roll (Think Rhoads and classic stuff). I dabble in Buckethead, Vai, and Satch. Mark knopfler and some blues.

This is why I think the Breed neck pup, On my Jackson I have super insane X2N and then i switch to a pretty sweet sounding neck pup. But my SG isn't a Jackson, now is it?
        who'll be standing by?"

-Dream Theater

Comment

Best pickups I have ever heard in an SG are the Duncan JB and Rio Grande BBQ...with the BBQ sounding bigger and fatter. I also will say that your new SG should beat out your Jackson for tone. I've had a few Jacksons but Gibsons have slamming good tone.

Comment

I'm surprised the Invader / 59 combo didn't work for you. I've got that in one of my SG's that was sort of a road test vehicle for a time for me and it smokes.
            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

maybe your SG needs some fine tuning...
              • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
              • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
              • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
              • G&L Tribute Comanche
              • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
              • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
              • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I think of different thinks when I play the different guitars. No way I would be able to play "For the Love of God" or "Binge and Grab" on an SG, unless it were a 24 fret Iommi with a Stetsbar or something.

So the SG has an equal but different vibe. WHich is why I don't want to put the X2N in the bridge. It should have a bit more tone than that.
                who'll be standing by?"

-Dream Theater

Comment

Originally posted by Hellion
                  I'm surprised the Invader / 59 combo didn't work for you. I've got that in one of my SG's that was sort of a road test vehicle for a time for me and it smokes.
                  The Invader was cool, if fact it's sitting right next to me waiting for a new guitar to put it in. I just wanted something with more of a vintage/raw feel to it that didn't sound too modern. Ya know, a '59 on roids. The Demon got me there, but I still want to try a Custom.

Comment

Check this out....In my older SG Standard I have a Dimarzio Fred that I put a nickel cover on and replaced the row of allen screws with slotted screws for my bridge pickup....In the neck I have a 59N pickup..I Love both pickups and the Fred is great with it's A5 magnet and rated at 10k....It's perfect...Has the right amount of mids,more lows and has great clarity of notes and cleans up well...It was a fluke that it worked..It was sitting in my draw and I liked it in my strat since 93 when the pickup came out,so I figured I'd try it...I really like it and left it in my SG replacing both of the SG's stock pickups..Ya just never know sometimes? I'm not a Dimarzio fan normally,but this pickup worked..I Play Classic Rock/Blues and it covers my bases great.

John
                    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

I was just thinking about the Humbucker From Hell. ANyone tried this one? sounds cool. I mean, not just the name, but single coil-ish tone.
                      who'll be standing by?"

-Dream Theater

Comment

After playing the Joe Satriani signature model recently, I have to say try the Fred bridge and new Paf-Joe for the neck. Man those things sound wicked.

Comment

I have an Epiphone G400 loaded with a Custom/'59 combo and have to say the Custom is a great pickup for that guitar, and I use it probably 80 % of the time I play that axe. It handles blues, rock n' roll, rock and metal very nicely IMO.
                          I like the pickup so much I put one in my LP.

Comment

Originally posted by Xeromus
                            After playing the Joe Satriani signature model recently, I have to say try the Fred bridge and new Paf-Joe for the neck. Man those things sound wicked.
                            Very cool....I'm not normally a Dimarzio guy but I always liked the Fred pickup..I've never tryed it,but people say the Fred also makes a great neck pickup? Satch used to use the PAF Pro with the Fred in the bridge and he's played with the PG also..

John
                            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

FRED's do sound good, but they're not a high output pup. Kind of like a 59, I always thought, maybe a little hotter, but not much. Demons are cool, though, too.
                              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Working...
                              X