anyone tryed a dimarzio norton?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone tryed a dimarzio norton?

im thinking of puting it a showmaster soon. anyone ever tryed it?
    Down at the edge, close by a river.
    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
    Close to the end, down by the corner.
    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Re: anyone tryed a dimarzio norton?

not bad. big mids, strong top end and a tight bottom. i had it in a prs for a while, nice pup but the top end had a weird quality that i didnt like. the top end is kinda like that of the tone zone.

Comment

kinda fake and dull sounding?
      Down at the edge, close by a river.
      Close to the edge, round by the corner.
      Close to the end, down by the corner.
      Down at the edge, round by the river.

Comment

I tried one in my LP a while back. It sounded like the best pickup you ever heard, if you had a towel over the speaker. Now I'm not trying to be funny here. The Norton was powerful, had great lows and mids but the highs sounded quite muffled and sythetic. This was in spite of all sorts of amp tweaking to coax some quality highs out of the Norton which, was essentially futile. What made matters worse was that while trying to get at least some quality high end out of the Norton, those great lows and mids began to directly suffer for it. It's a shame too because as I've said above, the pickup's power and all but high-end frequencies were really happening.

The neck pickup in the LP at the time was a Pearly Gates where the highs out of the PG blew away the Norton's. To compound the situation, all this amp tweaking to force some high-end out of the Norton made the PG sound really shrilly. The bottom line was that I returned the amp to my typical settings and as long as the Norton was in the LP (albeit quite brief), I exclusively used the PG pickup for solos where in my stylings, soloing off any neck humbucker is something I rarely do.

I have absolutely no 'scientific' data to back this up but IMO, I presume(d) the Norton to be in reality, a Super Distortion with an A5 magnet rather than a ceramic.

YMMV

Comment

Working...
        X