Replacememnts For Epiphone SG G-400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacememnts For Epiphone SG G-400

I'm seeking a tone similar to Tony Iommi on the first 2 Sabbath albums but with a little added warmth and dynamics. In other words, sort of vintage sounding but with a slight hint of a more modern sound. I want to get good cut (think 16 notes on Paranoid) and a smooth, warm tone on bar chords. A little raspy (like the A power chord in Cream's Sunshine of Your Love") is better than over the top distortion with no distinctness of notes. I guess what I'm trying to say is "crunch with warmness" a little scooped. I'm not looking for a lot of chunk in the bass or low mids.

From what I've read and listened to here on the site I'm thinking Screamin Demon in bridge and 59' in neck. Or possibly even 59's in both postions would work for me. How do you think these pickups will sound with the wood of an SG?

Re: Replacememnts For Epiphone SG G-400

Welcome to the forum
    Scooped and Crunch let me think of a duncan custom....I had it a short time in my RG. It should sound killer in an SG. Though don't about the Epi
    Last edited by Marcel; 05-31-2004, 07:38 AM.
    RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
    TS 7 (modded)
    Hot Rod 50+ XL
    Framus Dragon 4x12
    V-AMP II for practice

Comment

From listening to the sound files, I like the Duncan Distortion better than the Duncan Custom. It sounds like its got a warmer sound and better high-mid tone for cut. So now I am considering the Duncan Distortion or Screamin Demon for the bridge. I think the sound files for the HBers were recorded on a Les Paul. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But how is this going to change with the wood of an SG, mahogany? If I am right, an SG sounds like more of a focused guitar where a Les Paul sounds like a little more big open sound. They're both nice in their own way.

Comment

Rio Grande BBQ/Texas set...

Yes... the best for that early Sabbath grind, with added balls and tightness.

The '59 n & b will also do wonders in a G400.
        Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

The Rios will be PERFECT but has a more modern tone than early Sabath.

Comment

I'll probably go with 59's in both positions. I want to stay with SD. I have had nothing but good experiences with their pickups and customer service. I think the 59's will do all I want them to do considering my amp has enough drive to get those more modern tones. If nothing else, the 59's will give me a great vintage rock tone that can clean up well.

Comment

The '59n/Demon bridge is exactly what you want. I nail Iommi's tone dead on with this setup in my Sg's. The Demon has more Growl than the '59 bridge and sounds fuller. The '59 neck is the ticket for all the early Sabbath solos. And neither of these pups loose clarity when you tune down to D or C standard.

Comment

Originally posted by papersoul
                The Rios will be PERFECT but has a more modern tone than early Sabath.
                Yes, and that's what he asked... "but with a slight hint of a more modern sound"

I strongly recommend the Rio's for having used them in a Sabbath tribute band.
                Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I hate to have to do this, because it seems it is all I talk about in this forum, but +1 to the BBQ. Very Sabbathy
                  Quality riffs in about a minute...
                  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

Thanks everyone. I said early Sabbath tone like on first 2 albums, but I like the Master of Reality tone a lot too, maybe even better in some ways. It is fatter and warmer but still has good high-mid cutting guitar tones. Perhaps the Master of Reality would be slightly more modern sounding than th efirst 2 albums. I wonder what it was that Tony changed on the Master of Reality album that changed his guitar tone? Does anybody know? Also would your pickup suggestions be any different for Master of Reality tone?

Comment

Working...
                    X