Single coil pickup height?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single coil pickup height?

Most of my axes have humbuckers and I am pretty good with setting pickup height on those. Im setting up a strat right now and have no idea how high these are supposed to be. It sounds pretty good as is, but the pups are really low (barely above the pickguard) so Im sure Im missing a ton of power..
    Any tips or rules of thumb?? Thanks!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Single coil pickup height?

I use 4/32" on the bass side, 3/32" on the treble side, measured from the bottom of the string to the top of the pole, with the string depressed at the last fret

If needed, I adjust down from there

try reviewing the setup guide here if you have a strat:

setup
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Great l'nk Curly. What helped me getting a decent setup was the following info by Peter Florance:

FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

i tend to like alnico II magnets a little closer than alnico V, i also like my neck pup closer than my middle pup. i set the bridge first i start at about 3/32" for alnico II, 4/32" for alnico V and move it around to get it sounding right. then i do the neck pup so its volume is as close to the bridge pups as i can without losing the tonal qualitys ilike. then i set the middle so its volume is lower than that of the necks and there is good notch tones

Comment

Many Thanks Gents!! Man, I had them way to low and have so much more punch now.. Schweeet!
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
          X