Who likes/doesn't like the Hotrails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who likes/doesn't like the Hotrails?

What do you guys think? If I have to, I guess I'll route my guitar for a Humbucker.

Re: Who likes/doesn't like the Hotrails?

dont like me? what dont you like when playing?

Comment

I like the HR. Got two of 'em (br & neck)
      <---------------

Fat tone, high output. Works for me.
      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

I really like my hotrails, though I use it split so it will balance properly with the alnico singles in the neck and mid. Its really fun to go from nice clean blues to raunchy rock w/ the flip of your selector switch.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

I guess what I'm asking is, Does it sound like a Humbucker, or just a Single with added distortion? I just don't want a thin sound.

Comment

It obviously doesn't sound quite like a full size humbucker, but it's definitely a good step in that direction.
            • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
            • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
            • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
            • G&L Tribute Comanche
            • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
            • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
            • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I replaced a Blue Velvet neck in my H/S/S guitar, and while the Hot Rails don't sound just like a humbucker, I can get screaming lead tones with it and it is no longer obvious that I am switching to a single coil from a humbucker like it was with the BV.
              Gibson Les Paul Classic (C5/PG)
              Heritage H-157 (500T/JP)
              Fender American Deluxe Strat (JB/STK-S4/STK-S4)
              Franken-Tokai (Custom8/Cool Rails/Hot Rails)
              G&L ASAT Special
              Mesa Trem-o-verb DR
              Traynor YCV50 Blue

Comment

I like it - great pickup. There's some reviews in the Vault too that you could take a look at.

EDIT: It's not quite like a full-size humbucker, but that is actually what I like about it. For me it retains some of what's good about a single coil, thought I can't quite put a name to what
                Last edited by southadc; 06-01-2004, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                  I like it - great pickup. There's some reviews in the Vault too that you could take a look at.

EDIT: It's not quite like a full-size humbucker, but that is actually what I like about it. For me it retains some of what's good about a single coil, thought I can't quite put a name to what
                  i agree, there's somethign about it that doesnt sound humbucker-y, but it's still a great pickup. It's very unique sounding to my ears, gritty and raw, but i love it

Comment

There's no way a hotrails will sound thin, I didn't like mine cause it was just too high output and too powerful, but definately not thin. I have a JB in my SG's bridge, and a hotrails in my strats bridge sounded much fuller and definately dind't sound like a single coil.

Comment

the Hotrails in my tele makes other guitars sound less menacing...
                      Psychic Horns

Comment

Originally posted by southadc
                        It's not quite like a full-size humbucker, but that is actually what I like about it. For me it retains some of what's good about a single coil, thought I can't quite put a name to what
                        My JBJr neck gives me this sort of vibe too. Although it doesnt sound quite like a full humbucker (obviously the magnet is smaller) its fat as and with a big output, while still retaining something thats good about those single coils. A great mix!
                        My Soundclick page.

Comment

And mind you it matches up perfectly with my JB bridge.....sh!t i love my jackson!
                          My Soundclick page.

Comment

Had it in my Strat and hated it....along with the JB Jr. Bear in mind it might have had something to do with the basswood body.
                            PRS McCarty Korina loaded w/Godwoods
                            PRS Custom 22 loaded w/Dragon IIs
                            GJ2 Shredder loaded w/Habaneros
                            Rivera Knucklehead 55 Reverb/Blackstar HT-1/VHT Special Ultra 6
                            Avatar 2X12 loaded with V30 & G12H30
                            various pedals

Comment

I like mine in the bridge position, midrangey and fat, but not totally like a real humbucker. Doesn't get icepick bright, even when run full out (I have a switch on mine that bypasses the volume and tone control) which I like. Sounds fabulous with distortion, clean is another story.

That being said I'm looking for a different sound, so I'm getting rid of mine

Comment

Working...
                              X