SSl-5 Custom staggered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SSl-5 Custom staggered

Wondering about the SSL-5 custom staggered for neck and middle of strat? Fat sounding? Ouput? Midrange-heavy pickup?

Thanks?

Steve
    Steve Semich

Re: SSl-5 Custom staggered

Steve,

I had them in a Strat a few years back. It was one of a few I tried out. The tone was nice, but slightly bright for my tastes. Not real mid-rangy IMO. The SSL-3's were nice. Fatter than the SSL-5's. What sound are you lokking for? (also, check out the clips on the Duncan site)

Jeff
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Thanks for the quick response......

Kind of a fat strat sound...I am going to put a ssl-3 in the bridge already.

Have Fender 57/62 pickups in neck and middle now...Was looking at fender fat 50's? somethng real full and warm, not too bright, but want to maintain that strat sound...

They have SSL-1, Alnico 2 singles, SSL-5, both regular and RW/RP and fat 50's in the store I shop at...

Don't want too hot of pickup....Is the SSL-5 like a texas special? Overwound, etc.?

thought about the alnico 2 singlecoil for neck and middle?

Ths sound clips are kind of hard to hear differences on. Just trying to not have to buy pickups twice and pay installation costs over and over.

Play pretty high gain and alternative rock stuff and have mainly been playing my les paul and PRS singlcut with humbuckers. So need something that is not too thin sounding...

This is going in a 62 american reissue strat with rosewood fingerboard...
      Steve Semich

Comment

Steve
        I think the SSL-1's are probably closer TS's - really, just hot vintage wound. The SSL-3 is a lot hotter, at 17k or so, but lots of mids and sustain - not a vintage tone, but a great tone. I like the SSL-3, but haven't tried the SSL-5 Custom.

maybe check some of the comments in the vintage strat reviews in the vault area
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Steve,
          I have Fat '50's in my Am Standard Strat now & I love them. Curly's right the SSL-3's are higher output and more mid-range, but sweet. If I were to change pups, I'm going to look into the Antiquities for Strat (Custom & Texas Hot).

Another option that is definitely not vintage, but really fat sounding, is the Hot Rails (bridge only).

You mentioned Texas Special. I tried those before the Fat '50's and hated them. Some people on the Forum have said you have to lower the height on the Specials to get the real sound.
          "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

one other point ...
            be careful mixing Fender and SD pups ...

you are likely to end up with phase problems, as they are magnetically different

this subject comes up from time to time, and it seems like it's frustrating for those who try to make it work

I think there's a further explanation in the FAQ section of the main site, although it's a little over my head technically. I just know enough to stay away from mixing the two.
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Thanks...

Just want to make sure I get enough crunch from rear pickup when I change from my les paul or PRS....Don't want the sound to be too thin...

Here are some possible configurations I am considering for my 62 strat.

Choice 1
              neck: Fender fat 50
              middle: Fender Fat 50 rw/rp
              bridge: SD SSL-3

Choice 2
              Neck: Fender stock 57/62
              middle: Fender stock 57/62 not rw/rp
              Bridge: SD SSL-3

choice 3
              Neck: SD SSL-5 Custom staggered
              middle: SD SSL-5 Custom Staggered RW/RP
              Bridge: SD SSL-3 Hot

choice 4
              neck: SD SSL-3 Hot
              Middle SD SSL-5 Custom staggered RW/RP
              Bridge: SD SSL-3 Hot

I am leaning either with choce 1 or 3 since they will be hum-cancelling in certain positions and, also probably offer me some of the more traditional strat tones.

Which combination will give me the most versatility from going between my humbucker equipped guitars?

Thanks for everyones help...

Steve
              Steve Semich

Comment

Steve, I can only add that I have a few clips of my SSL-3, but since it appears you already plan on using one, don't let these scare you off:

"music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Working...
                X