No announcement yet.

Please help with Mini Switch Wiring!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help with Mini Switch Wiring!?!?

Thanks in advance for your help...

I am trying to wire a bridge humbucker (custom 5) in what I would think would be the simplest 4 conductor configuration; single(N)/HUM/single(S). In other words I want to be able to choose EITHER or BOTH coils. I have HEAVILY researched this for DAYS, visiting all the usual places (SD, DiMarz, GuitarNuts,StewMac,GuitElec, and many, many MANY more). They all suggested an SPST on-off-on switch. Seemed simple enough.
    HOWEVER, I have been unable to find such a switch. Common Sense implies that anything that is possible with an SPST on-off-on would also be possible with a DPDT on-off-on. So I got a DPDT on-off-on mini then. But I dont have a schematic for that. SURELY most of you here could do this with your eyes closed!

Once again, this is specifically what I need:

DPDT on-off-on mini toggle switch-

position 1: stud coil by itself (North Coil)
    position 2: regular Humbucker (series)
    position 3: Adjustable Coil by itself (South Coil)

Thanks

Alternately, if this is somehow not possible, I would settle for parallel/series/single (adj coil-south) with the same dpdt on-off-on switch.

FYI this is for a custom tele (used to be '91 American ultra a long time ago)
    its got a custom 5 in the bridge and an Tele Alnico Pro Rhythm (with phase switching) in the neck.

Re: Please help with Mini Switch Wiring!?!?

bumpity bump

Comment

Third one from the top, left column.

Comment

Thanks for looking for me Waste, but unfortunately I have already been to that site. As a matter of fact this is the specific diagram that i have incorporated into my scheme. If you look closely though, you will notice that the switch pictured has only 3 poles, thus making it a "single pole". As I have already stated, I have a DOUBLE Pole switch.

But I DO sincerely thank you for your effort.

Comment

For what you are trying: black to the the upper lug, red and white to the lower, and the mid gets the wire running the output. For more funky things you get to use the other 3, but not for this one.

B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Thanks DR. Barlo.

Thats it mate. I just finally took the time to really consider how a p'up is configured and what combinations of the coils it takes to produce a certain sound. In other words, for a coil to be on it must have a hot lead and a ground lead. By denying one or the other you render the coil inoperable. So the assignment of both a coils's leads to either ground or hot would have the same effect (because you are still denying it either a hot or a gnd). By these means you can produce four different soiunds: series wiring, parallel wiring, and South coil only, and North coil only. Phasing is acheived by simply switching the polarity of the ground/ hot leads (i.e. instead of the black to hot and the green to ground, attach the green to hot and the black to ground while leaving the red and the white spliced together in both instances).

Thanks man it was checking up on your (correct) answer that motivated me to finally figure this stuff out so I can come up with my own wirings.

Comment

Hey FiendN; I guess you've already figured this out, but a DPDT switch is simply two SPST switchs side by side. You just use one half, and ignore the other side.

Comment

Cool!

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Working...
                X