Screamin Demon in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screamin Demon in the neck?

This may have been asked before(if so, I couldn't find it) but has anybody ever tried a screamin demon in the neck position? Also, has anybody ever tried a screamin demon in the bridge and neck(same guitar, same time)? If so, what are your thoughts? Thanks in advance. BTW, my guitar has a basswood body, floyd rose trem, maple neck and pao ferro fret board.

Re: Screamin Demon in the neck?

I think the DD neck (12k) uses the same coil wire as the SD bridge (10k). Sounds like it would work. I waited to post hoping someone who had done it would post. Anyway this will bump you to the top
    Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

I tried a Demon in the neck of my ESP Viper (bolt on neck, basswood body), with a Distortion in the bridge, and found it to be a good match. The Demon will need some pole piece/height tweaking to get sounding good, though. If you're going after a traditional neck tone, I wouldn't recommend it, but it is pretty cool for high gain.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Actually I think the Demon is like an overwound 59 with allen heads and a Distortion is like an underwound JB with a ceramic magnet.
        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
        Originally posted by Sosomething
        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I use it in the neck. It's very open and airy in this position, though the bass isn't very defined and it could get very muddy sometimes. The leads however, are absolutely fantastic! I believe the mids are the same. I once played it through a Randall RH200SC head with a JCM800 cab and it sounded a lot better. I've tried it on several tube amps and I can't seem to get that sound back, it was the sound I fell in love with in the first place. The riffing was much better and palm mutes were more defined. The Demon is an excellent pick up, but it needs a lot of extra work to sound as good in the neck position

Oh yeah, you can check out the guitar I'm using it in below
          Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
          Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
          Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
          Marshall 2x12 Vintage
          Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Dunno if this helps in any way but i have it in the bridge of my alder strat copy and IMO its way too bright for light wood bodies..
            Marshall JVM 410C
            Mesa Boogie DC-3
            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far. Its greatly appreciated.

Comment

Milkdud,

Goto http://www5.ocn.ne.jp/~dgb/ Humbucker's calculated turns. The DD neck looks to me like a under wound custom and the SD is a further underwound custom (all #43). The DDb and JB are both # 44 (different mags).

I think you'll enjoy that site.
                Last edited by Lightning; 06-03-2004, 12:21 AM.
                Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Yeah, that's pretty neat. Has the guage too. Thanks!
                  Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                  Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                  Originally posted by Sosomething
                  "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

I think some guy on the board had done some mods to his SD in neck position and claimed it was like a Jazz on steroids. I think his usename was Fab. Juggernout or something.

Comment

I remember Fab mailed me about the Demon in the neck, I was the one who was going to try it first but it didn't arrive untill a week later so he tried it for himself. It sounded the way it did in my axe, so he replaced the allen head polepieces with DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell polepieces. The effect was the guitar had a much better bass response, harmonics started jumping out again and notes were sharp. Someone also posted the DiMarzio allen heads were made differently than Duncans, so I guess that was the main difference.

The guy who recommended it me the Demon in the neck also tried something different. He replaced the Alnico 5 mag with a Ceramic, as a result the SD got more agressive and sharper, with defined lows and a sharp high end. I believe the output also increased a little, because he had to lower it
                      Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
                      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
                      Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
                      Marshall 2x12 Vintage
                      Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Comment

Neeradj has a good memory , and i'm still happy with the SD in neck !!
                        and so ****in' happy with the C5 , i get sakk wilde's harmonics easy , and everything else .

Comment

Working...
                        X