Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Made another fun hybrid today

From my Demon and neck 59.
    Used the screw coil from the 59 and the allenwrench coil from the Demon, the resistance is 9.1, and it sounds twangy and open, now I only need a A2 magnet and I am done
    It balances nicely in sound, not too much bass or treble, the mids are great.
    Even got a few clips of it

Re: Made another fun hybrid today

ur thinkin about throwing a A2 in that? dont u think that will screw up the sound.
    Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
    The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Nopes, it will probally make it even more how I like it.

Comment

Sounds good! I mean, where's the link?
        How's the clean tone? Did you put it in the neck or bridge position?
        Sorry, that's a lot of questions...

Comment

If I'm hearing that right in my head that's a killer PU for the neck of a maple neck alder body guitar. Dude have you done a JB/custom hybrid yet? You inspired me to build a hybrid PU. As Evan says "can't reveal the secret sauce" but it measures 14.7, is mixed gauge with an a4 and is more in your face than the DDb. It's not a JB/custom but that will be my next. I'm calling it the Nasty Dog. The coils came from a couple of Japanese pickups. I thought it was going to sound like a Fillmore bridge but it sounds like Gilbert in Mr. Big. Like a Mini HB with woman tone.
          The JB/DD have the upper mid spike around 4khz, this ones a little lower and more spiked. Hearing the two pickups I said wow if I did a hybrid I bet they would sound like the Fillmore with a little more of this and a little less of that and...I can't believe how close to what I thought it would sound that it sounds. I'm going through an a2 phase and need to get more mags cause the upper mid is just to much but I'm afraid the bottom will get to sloppy. It already makes my Dual Recti sound like it has a Marshall output transformer. Ok, it's not perfect (I still like the DD/JB and Fillmore better but I didn't have to re eq the amp like with the Fillmore)
          but if I had a winder I could get it right but I'm thinking a C coil with a 500 ohm increase and a JB coil with a 500 ohm reduction is it. The Nasty dog is way off of those specs but now that I know that I can anticipate (hear in my head) a near out come...hey, one of my teachers told me "we engineered coils to the first layer then tweaked the as built".
          Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

Sounds good! I mean, where's the link?
            How's the clean tone? Did you put it in the neck or bridge position?
            Sorry, that's a lot of questions...
            Just go down to the clips and tips forum, and dig up A few more clips, I'll make some other ones next week as well...I hope
            It is put in the bridge, I use an APH-1 neck pu, I like balanced sounds best.
            Sorry Lightning the only thing I did was a JB/Demon pu, at about 13.00Kohms.
            Too muffled.
            I'm afraid that I go more and more after lower output pickups, and let the amp make the sound with more bandwidth as highgain pu's only produces bassy sounds in the amp I like to use.

Comment

I hate to "dual post", but there's another thread on here from a guy looking for a good pickup for playing thrash music through his B-tuned baritone guitar.

I sort of thought, "hey, what if he tried a Hybrid, but used some different models than what we normally discuss?".

Like maybe use a coil from the Invader, and one coil from the Jazz, using the Ceramic magnet, of course. Or maybe combine a Distortion and a '59 (again, with a ceramic magnet).

Sort of like what DiMarzio is doing with the Drop Sonic, having one coil designed for thick chunk, one coil designed for low string-pull clarity and treble. I think the Drop Sonic is only like 11k, or something like that.

Anyway, maybe some of you Hybrid gurus could take a peak at the thread if you have time.

Comment

There was a Majestic on the old forum, same guy?
                Recall the thread?
                Me and Neal's stage rig.

Comment

The thread should be in plain sight, but here it is anyway:
                  Baritone Pickup Recommendation

I'm not aware of any other "Majestic", BTW. I'm not aware of anyone else ever bringing up this topic, either, so if it's already been discussed, I apologize.

Comment

Working...
                  X