how could i get duffs sound from gnr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how could i get duffs sound from gnr?

i just picked up recently a fender power jazz bass special it was made in japan its the active version, i have a gk 2001 rb head so i am using the same amp as he does but i cant get the same sound his bass sounds so good mine sounds crap...i know he is useing seymour duncan basslines i think its the hot satck stk-j2 but the bass has also a p style of pick up any idea what i should instal in there as an upgrade any help would be appreciated..

Re: how could i get duffs sound from gnr?

Welcome to the forum, hopefully we can help you out.

I used to use some of the old Basslines but in my Jazz Special I just used the factory pups and active setup, can't say I sounded just like Duff but we used to cover some GnR from Appetite and it was in the ballpark. I ran an Acoustic B320 rig w 2x15 cab fyi.

If you back off the active settings can you get a good passive sound? The B320 had a great grpahic eq on the front and I would set up a slight smile face with slightly higher bottom settings. I don't know how that'll translate to the 2001, that is a sick head but I am not familiar with GK settings. I would run a bit of gain to get a good growl when you dig in not too much. Lay back on the active stuff until you get in the ballpark and then fine tune it, otherwise it starts to sound a bit too much like a MM Sting Ray and it'll have more snap than you'll need for Duff's sound.

What kind of cab are you running that head into?
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

hey thanks for the reply, i am using a 410 rbh cab with the gk2001 rb its perfect match for my flea bass, i think i am gonna change both pickup in there, a 1/4 lb for the p bass pickup and the hot stack for the bridge and i also thinking to get a badass bridge on it too..i saw velvet revolver last week man they kicked major ass at roseland here in ny thanks for the help

Comment

The QP is too scooped for Duff's sound. He used a vintage P-bass and a Classic Stack for Jazz. If you want a similar sound with more output go for Hot P-bass and Hot Stack Jazz. Another large part of Duff's sound is playing technique. He plays with a pick and plays much closer to the bridge than most bass players would.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

4x10 cabs were always a bit too middy for me, great in 1 guitar bands but with 2 guitars they fight to much for the same space for my ears. If you stay with the 4x10 I'd look to add a 1x 15" cab to the mix to load the bottom end a bit more that'll help round out the sound. Only owned the early Duncan actives in a bass pup so I can't comment on them unfortunately.
          Last edited by Wattage; 06-03-2004, 03:27 PM.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

For starters, Duff's tone is really gritty and "rockish" because he doesn't use actives! Duff is notorious for hating actives, so that right there should tell you something. His tone is a bit less "modern"... and when I say "modern" I mean he doesn't sound like anything at all like the EMG-loving nu-metallers around.

Use a pick and play straight through. Hots would be good pickups, although I think QPs would work, too. They're not scooped at all.... the midrange is really strong and punchy.
            It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.
            - David St. Hubbins

Comment

Working...
            X