Splitting a humbucker with a regular 5-way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting a humbucker with a regular 5-way

My fat strat copy came stock with the bridge/mid position having the bridge pickup split. I really don't like this sound and was wondering if it's possible, using the same switch, to wire it so that in the position that's usually bridge/mid it's just the bridge humbucker split. The switch is a regular 8 lug, 5-way strat style switch.

Thanks for any help,
    Jacob

Dude,

Just put a push/pull pot for the bridge pup, that way you can split it or not in conjuction with the middle. Gives you more options that way. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Comment

The cavity is too shallow for a push/pull pot. It's back routed so I can't put a new hole in the top for a seperate switch, and there's only holes for 2 controls, which I can't sacrifice.

Comment

I'm just guessing, but find out which wire from the humbucker goes to the switch in the back/middle position, compared to just in the bridge position. You should be able to wire the humbucker so it is in series with itself the whole time before it gets to the switch.

Failing that, wire the humbucker so it is in series the whole time, as above, and swap out the switch for a regular strat one - as far as the switch is concerned, it would just be 3 pickups, just like on a strat. Probably the simplest way if you can't easilly change the wiring to the funny switch.
        Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Re: Splitting a humbucker with a regular 5-way

Can you point us to a schematic for your guitar?

Eden
          Hamer Vintage S, 1992
          Fender Blues DeVille 4x10 1994
          Pick from "The Donnas" bassist.
          DIY cord with Canare cable.

Comment

If I understand your question correctly, the middle/bridge position currently selects the middle pickup in parallel with the split bridge humbucker, but you want only the split bridge pickup when using the middle/bridge position. Correct?

If so, I don't think you can achieve your goal using a standard five-way switch (if you want to keep the middle pickup working), although I may be wrong.

On a standard five-way switch, the middle/bridge position is when the "middle" and "bridge" terminals are both selected. This selects both the middle pickup and the split bridge humbucker. To get the split bridge only, you have to disconnect the middle pickup from the "middle" terminal, but then middle pickup will no longer work in the 2, 3, or 4 positions. If that's okay, then just disconnect the middle pickup from the "middle" tab. Otherwise, I think you need a Super Switch. Then you can select any pickup at any switch position.

Comment

get a multi pole super 5 way switch from stew mac

Comment

I misread your first post, I thought you wanted the humbucker to be in series with itself when used with the middle pup.
                Homemade Tas Oak Tele w/ SD Custom 4 & strat Blue Lace Sensor, Boogie DC-3

Comment

Originally posted by LH_
                  If so, I don't think you can achieve your goal using a standard five-way switch (if you want to keep the middle pickup working), although I may be wrong.
                  No, you're not wrong, and I thmink you're right about what he wants. But notice he said it has "8 lugs", so he's already got a dual 5-way switch in there.

Eden
                  Hamer Vintage S, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by zeppenwolf
                    No, you're not wrong, and I thmink you're right about what he wants. But notice he said it has "8 lugs", so he's already got a dual 5-way switch in there.

Eden
                    A standard five-way switch has eight lugs.

Comment

Originally posted by LH_
                      A standard five-way switch has eight lugs.
                      With eight lugs, he's got enough to wire TWO complete Strats in the regular way, one on each side, each side being a complete 5-way in and of itself. Ergo I would call what he has a "dual", and I would think calling it a "standard" might be market-correct but schematic-misleading. But maybe semantics aren't important. The point is he's got options... but then where is he, anyhow?

Eden
                      Hamer Vintage S, 1992

Comment

Originally posted by zeppenwolf
                        With eight lugs, he's got enough to wire TWO complete Strats in the regular way, one on each side, each side being a complete 5-way in and of itself. Ergo I would call what he has a "dual", and I would think calling it a "standard" might be market-correct but schematic-misleading. But maybe semantics aren't important. The point is he's got options... but then where is he, anyhow?

Eden
                        That's true, there are two poles, each of which is separate, but since the typical humbucker split method connects the "full" output of the humbucker to one side, while the other pole is used to split the humbucker. Thus, he is limited by what he can do with the other side of the switch.

Comment

: typical humbucker split method connects the "full" output of the humbucker to one side, while the other pole is used to split the humbucker.

Well, I was ready to go outside of "typical" if needed.

:Thus, he is limited by what he can do with the other side of the switch.

Perhaps. Perhaps it's time to quit saying "he" when we don't know much about he. Here's one thing I can say for certain: Using the stock 5-way x 2 switch on my "strat", (what you would call a "standard"), and the stock on/off switch, I have the following sounds available from my three APS-1's:

1) Bridge
                          2) Middle
                          3) Neck
                          4) B & M in series hb
                          5) M & N in series hb
                          6) B & M in parallel hb
                          7) M & N in parallel hb
                          8) no connection ("off")

It's not easy getting those 5-ways to play tricks, but it's not impossible either. Ok, I'm done. Time's up for OP. Abandon thread!! Abandon thread!!

Eden
                          Hamer Vintage S, 1992

Comment

Working...
                          X