Help with pick-up installation...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with pick-up installation...

Okay just received the Hot Rails bridge for strat. It costs 50 dollars to get a tech to install pick-ups now..........and i dont have the money (sadly) to get it done. Well,.i wondering if you guys would help me and give instructions of how to do it.(or if its too complicated i will save up). But i get the diagram and know the volume, and tone and all that....but i dont know what "ground wiring means". lol if anyone can help..thanx..but if its too hard i will take it to a tech.

Re: Help with pick-up installation...

Where's your diagram? I'm not sure what ground wiring means either. I'm sure that if I see the schematic, I could talk ya through it.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Jon87
      Okay just received the Hot Rails bridge for strat. It costs 50 dollars to get a tech to install pick-ups now..........and i dont have the money (sadly) to get it done. Well,.i wondering if you guys would help me and give instructions of how to do it.(or if its too complicated i will save up). But i get the diagram and know the volume, and tone and all that....but i dont know what "ground wiring means". lol if anyone can help..thanx..but if its too hard i will take it to a tech.
      it's simple, look in your guitar, see how the back of the pots and stuff like that are all linked together, then a wire goes into the body of the guitar? well, that wire goes to the trem where it is grounded. grounding is liek the zero point for the electricity. so when you ground something, just solder it to the back of a pot (volume or tone) or to the bridge, make sure all teh grounds end up makin their way somehow or another to the trem.

Comment

Usually, on a Duncan Humbucker, the wiring is > Black to switch ( Hot ), Red and white soldered together and taped off with electrical tape, and Green and Bare soldered together then soldered to Volume pot ( Ground ).
        Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

That is the picture........
          So grounding just means to solder it on to the back of any of the volume or tone? Cuz it says connect green and drain wires and solder it to the ground. So where do i solder them to?

Easy or take it to tech?

Comment

Wait i think i may have it,.!! It isnt that bad! Why do techs charge 50 freakin dollars! Rip off...i could do it.

BUT just incase,.lol i still need a lil instructions

Comment

Originally posted by Jon87
              Wait i think i may have it,.!! It isnt that bad! Why do techs charge 50 freakin dollars! Rip off...i could do it.

BUT just incase,.lol i still need a lil instructions
              lol exactly, it takes like 30 minutes and techs charge 50 bucks for it, it's crazy

Comment

For Later on down the road, green and drain ( bare ) get soldered to the back of the volume pot.
                Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Basically, with the 4 wire models the white and red are taped off ( do not use them) unless you get funky and add coil tap switches. The black goes to the tab on your volume pot ( just use the tab that was used with the other pickup wire, that you unsolder from), and the bare wire and the green wire are twisted together and soldered to the back of the volume pot ( just solder to the flat surface). Thats it!!!!!

With the braided wire models, the braiding is treated the same as the green and bare wire from the other models, and is soldered to the back of the pot. The inner wire is linked to and soldered to the volume pot tab like before.

Easy to do and better to save your money.

Comment

Originally posted by 59paul
                    Usually, on a Duncan Humbucker, the wiring is > Black to switch ( Hot ), Red and white soldered together and taped off with electrical tape, and Green and Bare soldered together then soldered to Volume pot ( Ground ).
                    We have winner (well, for standard and not split wiring anyway...). Follow what 59Paul has said. Easy to do as long as you are moderately OK with a soldering iron...
                    'No matter how hot and sexy any woman looks, some guy, somewhere, is tired of putting up with her sh#t..'

Comment

Working...
                    X