Ibanez Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez Pickups

I'm new to this and I need some help. I have an Ibanez EDR470. It's a European guitar that isn't sold in the US and it has a luthite body like Ibanez basses. The pickup setup is HSH. The most comparable American series is the S series. Currently I play through a Peavey Blazer. I only play varying types of rock and metal, so it's a fairly narrow range.

In terms of sound, it obviously has to have a heavy, crunchy sound, but I also want to be able to switch between different, distinct yet heavy sounds, so I'll probably need 3 different types/brands of pickups, unless there's a reason I shouldn't do that. I'm thinking about getting a stacked pickup for the single position, any suggestions? These pickups need to go well with a variety of effects too... I'm not sure how big of a factor this plays in a purchase.

Also, does anyone know anything about the "Speak UP" pickup at this site?: http://www.espguitars.co.jp/artist/2004/index.html (Go to "Anchang" and scroll to the bottom. It's the weird crosscrossed one.)
    I can't read Japanese...

Thanks.

Re: Ibanez Pickups

Here's a recommendation for a good heavy sound. It takes a little know-how, but is totally worth the work... Get a Duncan JB and a Duncan Invader (the bridge model). Remove the magnets from both pickups, and swap them.
    I know this sounds a little silly, but the results are incredible. After the mag swap, use the JB for the bridge, and the Invader in the neck. This setup makes the guitar kind of a one-trick pony, but for heavy its awesome.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

hmmm, thats a pretty interesting thing to do JB From Hell.
      well for me i would recommend a JB in the bridge a Lace Blue in the middle and probably a paf pro in the neck. this setup gives u real nice versitility.
      JB works great for Metal and a lot of other styles actually.
      the paf pro is awesome for soloing under gain and clean
      as for the lace blue, it'll give a great clean tone for clean and clarity unfer gain. plus its a pretty quiet pup for a single coil.
      1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
      1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
      Jackson KVX10: X2N
      1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
      Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
      http://fusionken.blogspot.com
      http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

JB, custom staggered, '59 .. or a DD, some other staggered pup and a '59n

maybe a custom bridge, ??? and a '59n ...

i LOVE my '59 neck pup okay.. shut up =P

but apart of that. all of those combos scream crunch =) just with diferent voices

the JB is THE most versatile pup ever to grace music. it can do anything, from death metal, power metal, trash, hard rock, soft tones and if you split it, it can do country aswell

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell
          Here's a recommendation for a good heavy sound. It takes a little know-how, but is totally worth the work... Get a Duncan JB and a Duncan Invader (the bridge model). Remove the magnets from both pickups, and swap them.
          I know this sounds a little silly, but the results are incredible. After the mag swap, use the JB for the bridge, and the Invader in the neck. This setup makes the guitar kind of a one-trick pony, but for heavy its awesome.
          Wow that's interesting. Do you have any clips of this? I'd love to hear how it sounds for some of my future projects.
          7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

SOunds interesting especially the Invader Alnico V. I have a JB ceramic that screams!

Comment

greetings my friend. the EDR470 isn't a Euro market exclusive...
              it's more similar to the long discontinued Ibanez Radius guitar as opposed to the S-series.

anyway i've played the EDR470 in the stores, i must say that the EMG designed Ibanez pickups in there packs a punch but IMO these aren't too far off the Powersounds/ Affinity pickups in other Ibanez units. they seriously lack bass & sound screechy at best.

i find luthite bodies neutral enough for pickups to breathe through. i'm saying this because i've played one of Satriani's Anniversary 'Chrome Boy' which was a luthite + Dimarzio equipped. the pickups sing in there. so it's a case of knowing some favourable pickups & then having them in your EDR, i guess. be sure to choose a unit with credible bass output, IMO the floating whammy has robbed the guitar of some nice bass...

i personally prefer Duncans.
              Psychic Horns

Comment

How the hell did you play a Chrome Boy?! That had to have been sweet.

Thanks.

-Adam

Comment

that was back in 1999, it's a JS10th, to be precise... it seems that only Luthite would make the chrome finish stick onto the body. Stach's chrome proto has the finish peeling off badly. anyway, i didn't quite like that guitar, i think i'm not in favour of those Dimarzios in there... purely personal
                  Psychic Horns

Comment

Working...
                  X