Any way to determine magnet type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to determine magnet type?

My SG came stock with decent pickups, but they've both been changed already. The pickups aren't brand name or anything, so they wouldn't sell for more than like $10. I was thinking of taking the magnets out and dissecting them for fun, and I was wondering if there was any way to tell what kind of magnet they used. I'm pretty sure it's an Alnico II, because the sound was rather smoothe and a bit muddy, but that could have been due to poor manufacturing too.

Anyway, is there any way to tell? I've tried contacting the company who made my guitar about several things and never got a response, so that's not an option.

dude....don't ruin a pup......what brand was your sg??? i'll buy the pups off you...
    Guitars:
    87' Gibson Les Paul Custom- Stock PUs
    86' Carvin V220- Super distortion neck, tonezone bridge....
    87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:
    Bogner Ecstasy-stock Tubes
    Marshall JMP 50 watt- stock Tubes
    Fender Deluxe 90-Solid State..:-P

Comment

It was a Samick SG. I wouldn't consider it ruining the pickup, more like sacrificing it so I can get a first hand look at pickup anatomy and possibly use the magnet it has in a different pickup later on.

Comment

Originally posted by wasteofo2
        It was a Samick SG. I wouldn't consider it ruining the pickup, more like sacrificing it so I can get a first hand look at pickup anatomy and possibly use the magnet it has in a different pickup later on.
        samick? well if it is shiny silver it is a 5 if it is blackish it is ceramic
        take a look at this photo
        all ceramics look like that in color,but both alniico II,III,IV, and 5's are silvery in color.
        i can swear to you that samick is not using II's III's or IV's,though so if it is silver you got a 5

Comment

How can you be so sure that samcik doesn't use alnico II's?

Comment

Most pups that are used in the import guitars are ceramic or A5 it probably sounds muddy because it isn't wound very well.
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

You would need a gauss meter to determine the string pull. Alnico II has a weak pull, going up in numbers the pull gets bigger and I believe ceramic magnets are the strongest. I'm shure there are some standart gauss values listed somewhere. Don't know where you can get a gauss meter though...

Taking apart humbuckers is great fun. There isn't too much to it, just 2 plastic bobbins wound with wire and kept together by some wax and a magnet. (I took apart some Ibanez Powersounds as they are useless pieces of crap)
              Last edited by Nightburst; 03-12-2004, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Nothing wrong with dissecting crap pickups imo. Especially if you're planning on using the experience to educate yourself on pickup anatomy.

Amen to Powersound's suckiness. :P
                Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                Originally posted by Sosomething
                "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

Working...
                X