X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oldslowhand
    replied
    Re: Which SD pickup should I buy?

If you like vintage tones the JB does those with balls thats why it's recomended so often.

Leave a comment:

• crazy horse
    replied

I listened sound samples of Sh-5, Sh-4 JB and Pearly Gates. Pearly Gates got the biggest balls ... Now, I'm not sure, do I need a high output pickup on bridge...?

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

I think the JB soundbyte is kind of misleading, and sounds a lot cooler than it really is.

Leave a comment:

• joelap
    replied

Thanks JB From Hell

CrazyHorse, you can't go wrong with a JB in the Bridge, but if your heart is set on either the SH-5 or the SH-11, get with the SH-5 Duncan Custom. You might want to check out the JB still. Let the pickup do its job and the amps do theirs. Listen to the sound clips here on the Seymour Duncan webpage. Trust your own ears

Leave a comment:

• JB_From_Hell
    replied

I'm gonna back up joelap and steer you towards a JB. I've had them in several guitars, and can't find a thing to complain about. I'll call it versatile, in that it seems to match my mood, meaning if I want a mellow sound, I can get it, if I'm looking for extreme metal...

Leave a comment:

• crazy horse
    replied

Here it says for SH-5 : One of the most sought-after pickups in the world.

Beef up the sound of the Patent Applied For pickup and you get a hard-driving, kicking sound with just the right balance of power, sustain, and distortion. This pickup cuts through with a distinctive high end and midrange attack. Recommended for bridge position. 4-conductor cable.

SH-5 is for now my choice, any suggestions?
    Thank You

Leave a comment:

• jeremy
    replied

with what you say you want i think a pearly gates set woul dbe killer. the pg bridge isnt high output but has a nice aggressive tone. that aggresive quality can be rolled off with the tone control to get a nice warm tone.

Leave a comment:

• crazy horse
    replied

Thank You for first reply on this thread
    Well, I'm not looking for pick-up that I can play everything. I'm looking for high output pick-up that can stand high gain, a still has that warm sound...
    My other favorites are Neil Young (great of the greatest).. Joe Perry ....
    Right now, I had read what Seymour Duncan Team says about JB pick-up : "You get the best of both worlds: from sweet warm tones to raw rock 'n' roll"

Now I'm confused
    Well, If I will ever wanted to change pickup on neck position I would definitely buy Pearly Gates...
    There are now three options for bridge position : Duncan Custom SH-5, Custom Custom SH-11 (They say it's SH-5 with vintage tone) and JB..

Leave a comment:

• joelap
    replied

Originally posted by crazy horse
    My definition for great sound are Slash, Billy Gibbons, Tom Morello (In Audioslave he uses LP), Zakk Wylde...(I know his babies are loaded with EMG )
    For bridge I need high output pickup... with possibilty od high gain sound, but again, warm sound, for singing lead and great sustain... Like I like to play blues, I like high gain sound and possibilty to play metal or anything else with mighty sound...
    First of all, I absolutely love your definition for a great sound. Morello and Slash are two of my favorites.

If you are looking for a pickup that you can play metal, blues, jazz, whatever with, I'd say go with the JB instead of the Custom or Custom custom. The JB is a very versatile pickup and handles all types of music very well. I've heard the JB actually sounds quite well in a mahogony body guitar, so this may be another option for you.

Also, Slash uses a APH-1 Humbucker, you might want to consider that if you're looking for a more defined "Slash" sound.

If you want to stick with the humbuckers you had listed before, I personally prefer the Custom SH-5. A friend of mine decided on the SH-5 Custom for his '93 Gibson Les Paul. I hope this helped, or at least gave you some new ideas.

Leave a comment:

• crazy horse
    started a topic Which SD pickup should I buy?

Which SD pickup should I buy?

Hello everyone
    Several months ago I was asking here on seymourduncan forum which pick-ups tu buy. After that, I buyed another amp so I didin't have enough money for SD pickups. I have Gibson The Paul Deluxe from 1980., and it' all from mahagony, except ebony fingerboard. My pickups (bridge) are over 24 years old and they need rewiring, so I decided to buy some SD pick-up for bridge position. Your reccomendations were Pearly Gates for neck position, and Duncan Custom (SH-5) for bridge position.
    Well, I like Vintage sound... In november last year I have buyed Marshall JMP Mk2 Master 100w Lead Head + Box(4x12) '77 ... and for me it's very satifying..all tube sound, it's loud, it's warm and it's rough.. just the way I like it.
    My definition for great sound are Slash, Billy Gibbons, Tom Morello (In Audioslave he uses LP), Zakk Wylde...(I know his babies are loaded with EMG )
    For bridge I need high output pickup... with possibilty od high gain sound, but again, warm sound, for singing lead and great sustain... Like I like to play blues, I like high gain sound and possibilty to play metal or anything else with mighty sound...

I need your advice which one to buy... Duncan Custom SH-5 or Custom Custom SH-11...

I'm from Europe, so I apologize for mistakes in writing this post.
    Hoping for help
    Thank You
Working...
X