Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring of RW/RP middle pickup - quick question

Hi-

I just installed an SD APS-1 RW/RP in my middle position on a Strat.

I read in some article that you need to reverse the black and white connections for a RW/RP pickup, but I didn't know if that's true in all cases, or just in pickups that don't do you the favor of changing the colors so that the hookup is the same as all other pickups.

Anyway, I used the white as hot (to switch) and black as ground, as was done for the bridge and neck, and a) it sounds right (no loss of volume or phase issues), and b) I get the noise cancelation in positions 2 & 4.

But... for my piece of mind, I just wanted to know if this is correct?

Thanks!
    Check out the website for my band, Wilgus

Remember... If you're not angry, you're not paying attention!!

Re: Wiring of RW/RP middle pickup - quick question

The rw/rp type pickups are wired just the same as any other pickup. You've got it right. You'd know for sure right away if it wasn't.

Comment

I depends on the direction of the windding and the magnet polarity of the RW/RP pickup. If both are the opossite of what you have in the other pickups you just have to conect it normally. The RW/RP reffers to the other pickups of the same model. If you buy a SSL-5 RW/RP it mean that it is reverse winding and polarity respect a "normal" SSL-5 (normally respect any "normal" single coil of the same company)

But different company have different polarities and winddings. So just imagine your pickup it is just RP but it have the same windding direction than the stock one. I you reverse the conections the current goes thru the coil the reverse direction so it will be RW. Now imagine it is RW but it has the same polarity if you reverse the conections the polarity and the conection will be right but they won't be humcancelling!!

So it is kind of luck!
      Last edited by mongrollo; 06-06-2004, 08:00 AM.

Comment

As Mongrollo said, it depends upon the make of the pickup. If you had duncans in the bridge and neck and put a Fender in the middle you would have to reverse the leads on the Fender.

Comment

Working...
        X