wire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wire question

The thread about favorite type of wire got me thinking...I'm about to embark upon a couple of rewiring projects, and I noticed people mentioning cloth-covered shielded wire. In its stock form, my Wolfgang had some of this in the wiring compartment. Is it really necessary to use this type of wire for anything, and if so, what exactly is it used for? I had planned on using 24 gauge pre-bonded stranded hookup wire for most connections, along with some smaller gauge stuff for wiring up the lugs on the push/pull pots. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: wire question

If the cavity is sheilded well there isnt a reason to use the shielded wire, though I always do for the output jack and the switch wire on Les Pauls. I dont use the braid type but I do use 22 guage 4 conductor sheilded wire.
    www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
    www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

What Robert said, even if not the case (shielding) you still may not run into any problems ... I think a lot of people simply like the cloth stuff because theie solering skills are a bit heavy handed and they melt the PVC type insulated wire ... that seems to be a reason why some people actually like the stuff. It's good stuff (referring to cloth/fiberglass) for electrical work (higher voltages), but other than the shielding issue it's easier to use the other, also, if you want shielding then just get PVC shielded wire, it's cheaper, and takes up less space.
      ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
      ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
      Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Originally posted by Kent S.
        I think a lot of people simply like the cloth stuff because theie soldering skills are a bit heavy handed and they melt the PVC type insulated wire
        BINGO!! I love the fact that you push the cloth back to solder then slide it right back up to the solder joint when your done. No bare wire exposed ...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackRose
          BINGO!! I love the fact that you push the cloth back to solder then slide it right back up to the solder joint when your done. No bare wire exposed ...
          That is a very vaild point in protecting the joint as well, and it certainly has it's uses. For me it's more of a cost issue also, plus I've gotten used to the PVC stuff, and can solder right up to it, with only about a 1/32" of bare wire showing, the shielded of course has a bit more space. Blackrose ... the name reminds me of a place in Portland,OR that sells black leather roses ...custom made even ...classy! Just a fragmented thought ...
          ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
          ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
          Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Working...
          X