Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need help deciding on pups for Ibanez RG-570

Originally posted by CsaRvoX
    I had Dimarzio ToneZone bridge and Dimarzio Paf Pro neck in my RG570...actually Dimarzio Pups are more adoptable and widely used in ibanez guitars...I like Seymour Duncans more than Dimarzio's but they're more suitable for basswood bodies...personally I think you don't need to change the middle pickup S1 cause you generally use it to combine with the others...Paf Pro in the neck is hot&great and when combined with middle S1 it gives good clean sound...you could try Air Norton in the neck for little less output and clarity...ToneZone is a hot bridge PU but lacks clean sound...either you could try Air Zone instead or install a push/pull tonepot to switch between humbucker/single and get good clean tone...I made the mod and had great versatility over neck/bridge PU's by switching them to singles...
    yeah i am glad to hear from another that does like duncans but realizes that they with the exception of the PAtb series just dont sound all at great in these guitars.
    Now i for one am not going to use a pup that sounds not that great in my guitar just cause it is a duncan or whatever.
    I use what sounds best and in the RG's i can assure you the dimarzio's are like they were made for the RG

Comment

Originally posted by RG 2570
      yeah i am glad to hear from another that does like duncans but realizes that they with the exception of the PAtb series just dont sound all at great in these guitars.
      Now i for one am not going to use a pup that sounds not that great in my guitar just cause it is a duncan or whatever.
      I use what sounds best and in the RG's i can assure you the dimarzio's are like they were made for the RG
      Yeah man that's totally true...Dimarzio's are made for especially Ibanez and alike guitars,you can put them on any guitar and they sound good...but Duncans sound great only on high quality guitars & woods...putting Duncans in a cheap korean guitar is a waste of money and even you could blame Duncans for the bad tone...If you have a high quality instrument & wood then go for the duncans else do not put duncans in them...
      90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
      99' USA Fender Stratocaster
      96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
      79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but... seeing how you mentioned liking Metallica, Slayer & In Flames, I'm gonna suggest EMG pickups, as all three of these bands use them.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Thanks again guys... well I'll let you know how I like the duncans in the RG-570 DX.. btw mine is Japanese made not Korean. I have a feeling the duncan distortion is going to work out...

@JB From Hell
          Yeah Emgs are great but I already have emgs actives in my 1992 Jackson Soloist (USA made)... so I am not going to put them in my ibanez.... with the Ibanez I am trying to match a friend's sound (he sent me his podxt and eq settings, and now with his pickup (duncan distortion), strings, and dunlop picks I hope to match, more or less, his tone, which I love...
          http://www.bubbahotep.com/
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL-D6hUHfsE

Comment

Good luck with that. But unfortunately, tone is in the hands of the beholder. I could pick up Eddie Van Halen's guitar with his amp, gear, picks, etc. and I would not sound like Eddie. However, I'm sure you'll have a good tone regardless. Just don't be too disappointed if you don't sound exactly like your friend.
            Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

I had a 59b in the neck, Bill Lawrence 250HP in the middle and Dimarzio Tone Zone in the bridge and sounded awesome! The TZ is big and in your face. I switched it out recently for a C5 as the C5 has become my fav pickup. The guitar sounds awesome in every position and since my amp is hot, I can pound out metal too.
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

I would suggest going for all out versatility. In the bridge, either a Distortion, or maybe even a Dimebucker, would do you really well. in the neck, you can go with a bit of a smoother, lower output pickup, my fave in the Neck (and Slash's, too!) is the Alnico 2 Pro. As for the mid, you can go with like, a cool rails maybe, and be able to really blues it up too. If you are ONLY interested in metal though, and plan on playing nothing else, ever... Dimebucker OR Invader bridge, Distortion or Invader neck (only put an Invader in the neck if you put the dime in the bridge and you do a lot of stuff that you need that CHUGGA CHUGGA CHUGGA for) and a JB Jr in the mid position. That would be crazy. So, if you're only going for metal, Dime-JBJR-Distortion is a great setup.

Comment

i think i'm among the very few players who has the SH-6 in the neck (RG 1550). i'm the solo-in-the-neck type & prefers a defined tone in the neck at high gain settings. the SH-6 manifests clear single notes, that's another consideration prior to this pickup's purchase. the SH-6's sidekick in this guitar is the Screamin' Demon (B)
                  Psychic Horns

Comment

@ Travis -- well, look you are right that I cannot expect to have the exact same tone as him... I agree... but I did put in the distortion and I like it--it definitely is better than the stock v8 from Ibanez... Plus I can get close now to my friend's tone and thats good enough for me...

Just curious, though... how would you guys describe the difference between an ibanez + tonezone, and an ibanez + duncan distortion... I'm curious as to what you guys perceive as the difference in tone... one of you guys said it has "ice picky highs" Though in my playing so far I have not noticed this.. also it seems to have a decent low end... So what would you say are the major differences besides these, or is that it?

Thanks again...
                    Last edited by bubbahotep2k3; 06-09-2004, 08:34 PM.
                    http://www.bubbahotep.com/
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL-D6hUHfsE

Comment

This will blow peoples mind, but i use duncans on my ibanez, and they kick ass

I have an Ibanez S470 deluxe quilted, and a pair of screamin' deamons.

they work fine on my mahogany body.

They give me the right distortion,
                      but for you, you might want to try invaders.

good luck dude
                      :firedevil:Smoke on the water DOESN'T COUNT!:firedevil:

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Flash
                        This will blow peoples mind, but i use duncans on my ibanez, and they kick ass

I have an Ibanez S470 deluxe quilted, and a pair of screamin' deamons.

they work fine on my mahogany body.

They give me the right distortion,
                        but for you, you might want to try invaders.

good luck dude
                        yeah you are playing the S series though(totally different axe than the RG), the RG and jems are the ones that really sounds best with dimarzio's

Comment

Originally posted by bubbahotep2k3
                          @ Travis -- well, look you are right that I cannot expect to have the exact same tone as him... I agree... but I did put in the distortion and I like it--it definitely is better than the stock v8 from Ibanez... Plus I can get close now to my friend's tone and thats good enough for me...

Just curious, though... how would you guys describe the difference between an ibanez + tonezone, and an ibanez + duncan distortion... I'm curious as to what you guys perceive as the difference in tone... one of you guys said it has "ice picky highs" Though in my playing so far I have not noticed this.. also it seems to have a decent low end... So what would you say are the major differences besides these, or is that it?

Thanks again...
                          Ibanez RG+ tone zone=very big massive, warm and powerful tone with great clarity,molten harmonics,relentless drive to the chords
                          Ibanez RG+ DD= powerful, but not as warm,not as big,a bit harsher due to the large ceramic magnet, not as good sounding split as the tone zone. but does have good clarity/harmonics . more grainy sounding overall
                          I prefer the TZ in the RG of the two.

Comment

my rg 570 (japanese) with 59n + jb bridge sounds awesome, I donīt play with dimarzios, may be sounds better but my GuitaR HAS A N INCREDIBLE TONE, FOR CLEANS AND DISTORTION.

Comment

bubbahotep2k3, if you decide you want to try a Tone Zone instead of the Distortion, I have an F-spaced TZ in black, new in the box that I would trade for a Duncan Distortion.
                              Everything in this post is the sole opinion of the author. The author makes no claims that his word is final, only that the opinions expressed are those of the author and any similiarities to the opinions of others is purely coincidental.

Comment

Originally posted by mmguz
                                my rg 570 (japanese) with 59n + jb bridge sounds awesome, I donīt play with dimarzios, may be sounds better but my GuitaR HAS A N INCREDIBLE TONE, FOR CLEANS AND DISTORTION.
                                if you like the tone that is all that really matters

Comment

Working...
                                X