banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

250k pot for JB ... Does the guitar wood dictate the choice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 250k pot for JB ... Does the guitar wood dictate the choice?

I just picked up an early 80s JB and I'm thinking of either installing it in a alder strat or a mahogany Les Paul.

I know there's a lot of debate over using a 250 or 500k pot, so I'm wondering if maybe the guitar wood makes a difference when choosing. Obviously mahogany is going to be darker, so maybe a 500k would be better?

My other dilema is that my strat has Duncan Antiquity single coils and a Seth Lover. I'm using a 500k pot with that setup so maybe installing a JB and a 250k pot would be the better choice? I think the Antiquitys would probably be better matched up with 500k, right?

Anyone try 300k?

Re: 250k pot for JB ... Does the guitar wood dictate the choice?

I have a JB in the bridge of an SG with a mahogany body, mahogany set neck and rosewood fingerboard. Anyway, I thought it was too bright with 500k pots, so I switched both to 250k pots (using the same exact cap with both sets of pots, .04) and I noticed absolutely no difference at all. That leads me to believe that the guitar's materials matter alot more than the pot value.

Comment

For the LP I would think 500 would be the ticket. I'd also try to keep the 500's in the Strat unless it's way too bright, then you will have to go 250 or roll off the tone when using the JB.

Comment

well, really it's you that decides. i know people that use 500k pots with a jb in a strat. but for me, i'd use 250k's in alder and ash(bright woods) and 500k's in mahogany(dark woods)

Comment

My single coils are kind of bright so I'm going to try the 250k with the JB in that guitar. I guess I'll kill two birds with one stone!

Comment

For your strat I would definately change those pots to 250K. I have done the same to an alder 3 SC guitar and it went from shrill heightness to warm sparkle.
            When you are putting the JB in there 250K pots are the way to go IMHO. In a LP I don't know.

Comment

Working...
            X